"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm giving an oldie the gel treatment.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 06, 2009, 01:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
As Far as the teeth......Our motto here a Peroxide restorers is.

"You ship Em, We'll Strip Em."

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 08, 2009, 01:29:38 PM
To those that have done the peroxide treatment, I am curious to know if the original shine and finish goes away or stays.

Do you still recommend polishing with Novus or similar products?

My shine is still there, I don't need novus because the phone was waxed prior to whitening. I do hit it with a little F21 turtle wax "phone Armoral" afterwards and it's back to it was previously. You could bleach first on a rough phone and polish secondly, it would make an interesting variable.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

I did a third treatment on my white Princess, and finally got the thing as white outside, as it is inside, with NO yellowing anywhere.
I was beginning to think it wasn't going to work 100% on hard plastic. I used the 20% HP, and applied it 3 times.
When I get the phone back together I'll post some photos.
This opens up a whole new world of prospects for collectors.
D/P

JorgeAmely

Pre peroxide treatment suggestion:

I would give these plastics a really good scrub and wash with a detergent soap and warm water. Some of us use goops, waxes, sun protection concoctions that may work against the peroxide. In other words, the peroxide may lose some punch in going through layers before it reaches the plastic.

Just a thought ... from a nobody around here.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I agree, I soak mine and scrub in warm dishsoap. then blow dry with compressed air. It's actually not compressed air, as you imagine, it's a turbo blower for Dog grooming, It has two speeds, Hurricane, and Typhoon, and heat.
I've never had a run of the mill home compressor with this much punch. It has back to back turbo blowers, 2" hose reduced to a one inch nozzle. It will move a complete 500 across the floor like a feather. We bought it for dog grooming when we had our kennel, it's made by Airforce, and cost $350.00.
D/P

Dan

Nice to hear it took you three times @ 20% Dan/Panther.This is consistant with my results.  That was what my early white ones were doing too(one took 4 times). The 40% helped on the white for me (and I only recommend this on the white.)and cut the time in half.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

I'm posting this to both threads on bleaching phones as it may be important.
Bill, Dan;
I have the same colored Princess as Bill tried the method on. The receiver cap which is not original to the phone and slightly more yellow, has had 3 treatments with very little change. The body of the phone is better but like Bill points out seems to be fading along with the yellow. I do not see how this method is going to show an aqua phone bright aqua again like original.
I also have found a very thin crust, of a very hard like material that can be scraped off with a finger nail, and appears to be like a coating has formed in crevasses. Just procede with caution on exspensive phones. Treat at your own risk so to speak. Do we really know what we are doing here. We may find later on that the plastic truns brittle, or begins to flake, we just don't know.
The first photo is after 3 treatments, the second, and I don't know if it will show up well or at all, is the crazing I found. It appears as spokes from the center out.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I'm beginning to lean toward the thought that the Hydrogen Peroxide method works on phones that have had environmental discoloration such as smoking, and cooking vapors in the home. I think that phones that are faded or yellowed by UV rays, are hopelessly destined to be yellow, or a faded shell of their original color.
I base this on two phones. One a pink 500, that though I have removed the yellow color, the shell will not polish up to the original pink on the inside.
Secondly, a Blue princess that I replaced the receiver cap with one from another phone. The other parts have been returned to near original color, but the cap from a suspected UV faded phone will NOT turn blue, after 4 treatments. I don't know what to think at this point.
Someone mentione it is a bleaching process, and I'm beginning to agree.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Here is the same cap, after 5, 6 hour treatment, 3 of them using a black light.. Folks it ain't gettin any better than this.
D/P

Phonesrfun

I agree.  White is great and it works great on the smoking-type yellowing, but I think the UV damage on all but white phones goes too deep, and has actually chemically changed the plastic.  The darker the original color of the phone, the more likely overall lightening will be evident.   Sanding may be able to get beneath the damage, but again, it depends on the extent (therfore the depth) of the damage.

I did some more on my white or beige or something?? Princess today, and the results were generally good.  I also had it out in the direct sunlight all day today with the gel on it.  Today was a very sunny day, and we are approaching the summer solstace, so I cannot get any better UV than that.

Even though I say the results were genreally good, it still does not get all of it.  This was treatment #2.  It is much, much better than it started, but I just do not think this treatment is the silver bullet we would like it to be.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Bill, you may have to go three and even four times.

Phonesrfun

I will.  I thought a bit more about that last night and came to that same conclusion.  I assume you are talking about this light colored Princess. 

I am going to go out of town for a few days and when I get back, I will take it up again.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

This method defineately works on white phones and will remove yellowing from most other colors. I just don't want people to be over zealous and do damage to one of your expensive phones. It appears that the darker the phone, it will remove yellowing, but will also lightly fade the original color. It may polish right up to original, it's just at this point I'm not completely sure.
D/P

DavePEI

Hi All:

I tried giving my wife the gel treatment, now her hair is bleached, but she just about killed me! She's definitely an oldie, so I thought.... ;)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector