News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone not ringing 425E Network

Started by Gilas, August 10, 2012, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I've tried several different combos to try and get this to ring and I am having no luck.  I followed the diagram here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/wd_we500c-d_big.jpg yet no luck.  I included a picture just in case I am seeing something wrong.  Any help would be most appreciated.  I did try and switch ringers to see if that was the issue and the other one didn't work as well.

Thanks

Gil (lowrey340)

LarryInMichigan

Move the black wire from the ringer to the terminal next to it where the green wire is.

Larry

paul-f

Your phone appears to be wired for a 3-wire mounting cord.  2-wires are standard now, so you need to move the black ringer wire one terminal right (from G to L1).  An alternative is to connect the green and yellow mounting cord wires to put the ringer in the circuit.

You are usually safe remembering that the ringer coil and capacitor are in series between L1 and L2.  The capacitor is in the network between terminals A and K.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

twocvbloke

Gilas

I thought I had swapped the black earlier from G to L1 but wasnt sure so tried it again and nada.  Also tried green and yellow together but again no luck.  Any other suggestions? 

paul-f

Fortunately ringer circuits are simple.

If the wiring is correct and the phone works properly in other respects, the most likely choices to test are:

1. The ringer coil is open.  (Test with a continuity tester or ohmmeter.)

2. The capacitor is bad.  (Check for infinite DC resistance with an ohmmeter.)

3. Terminals are loose.

4. Spade tips are not making good contact with the wires.

5. Wires are bad.

Something is keeping the circuit from being completed.  Using a continuity tester (or butt set) and following the circuit step by step starting from the green or red wire at the outside end of the line cord should identify the culprit.

Don't trust anything!  Check everything!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Gilas

Paul thanks for the help.  I normally use the diagram that is posted here for 500's and tried that like always to start.  When it didn't work I saw that someone else had listed the diagram you saw hooked up.  Again that didn't work so I tried a new ringer with same results.  What I DIDN'T try was taking the new ringer and backtracking to the original spec wiring.  When I did that it worked.  Again thank you for your help.

Gil