News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Information on Candlestick

Started by Doug Rose, October 04, 2012, 04:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone have any information on this candlestick. Looks like a SC to me, but I am not sure. It is in stellar condition....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

dencins

Nice find.  It looks like an S-C oil can (sometimes called a Roman shaft) to me.  Based on the mount it would have been made 1900 - 1906 (the 1896 - 1900 had a ball mount).  The wood bottom looks like someone made it in their workshop.  The one's I have seen have a felt covered wood base that is flush to the bottom.  There should be an inductor coil (T15A) inside the base.  These were wired for local battery.  The four blade switch is on the shaft under the switch hook cover.

These are notorious to have stress cracks along the edge on the bottom of the spun base.  Usually there will be three cracks somehwere along the edge.  The earlier cast bottoms do not have the cracks.

The receiver has been changed.  The original would be the brass bottom receiver.

Dennis Hallworth

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis.....I thought it was an SC, but I am far from an expert. I do have the proper receiver for this. It has a some brass showing though the nickel, so it might be of to the Master to re-nickel.

I am on the look out for a base cover for this. This was a very lucky find....Doug
Kidphone

dencins

Doug

Here is the picture showing the insulator/dust gasket that becomes very brittle on the S-C transmiter.  You will need to remove the four screws that hold the coils to the upper transmitter case.  The insulator in the picture is one I made after the original broke.

Also the diaphragm can be very difficult to take out.  It is in the lower transmitter case and is held by a ring that unscrews.  There are two holes in the ring that can be used to turn it.  When putting it back together, the ridge side on the ring faces the diaphragm.

The transmitter has three parts that are plated - upper case, locking collar and lower case.

When putting the transmitter together first screw the locking collar on the upper case then screw the bottom case to the top case while testing the transmitter.  Once the transmitter is at the clearest and loudest point, tighten the locking ring to the lower case.  I use my laptop to play music through the transmitter to get to best spot.

Dennis Hallworth

Doug Rose

This very similar to the one I purchased on eBay a few weeks ago. Its an SC with a WE receiver. I paid 10% with a BIN of what this went for. I now have the correct brass base SC handset that Dennis nickeled for me. The man is an artiste!....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370669458218
Kidphone