News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 2554 Restoration

Started by pa_bell1960, August 13, 2011, 02:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pa_bell1960

Hello Everyone, I don`t know if I am posting this in the right place but if not someone will let me know. I`ve fixed up and cleaned up several phones lately but I have obtained 2 on ebay that need some serious work. First is a WE 2554, yellow from 1976. I have some pics I am posting to give you an idea of the task ahead. It is very discolored and the hardwired handset cord is torn and nasty. The handset itself is a modular that they used for a hardwired cord. All the dates on this phone match so if it came with that handset then it will be left that way. It also came with a really cool 155A adapter that is used to mount the phone to an electrical box in the wall. But I am going to need a couple of things before getting started good. I need a receiver cap for the handset, this one is badly cracked and a 523A modular plug for the basepan. I may need to put an ad for these things on the classifieds. Also, anyone have any ideas on how to repair this handset cord? Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated. I`ll be updating so come and visit again with you ideas and opinions.  Thanks,  Jim
Western Electric Telephones and Zenith Radios, These are a few of my favorite things!!!   Jim

jsowers

Jim, if the handset cord is otherwise OK after you clean it (I use denatured alcohol to clean cords), then you can try carefully prying the strain relief open at the seam and sliding it down the cord a little and crimping it back tight.

It's good you took some pictures of how it looked before. I've actually seen strain reliefs put on backwards on phones I've gotten.

This phone is from the early modular era and it looks as if it was hard-wired to the wall with that adapter, which is very unusual. The handset should have a date inside the ear part and you can see if it's original or not.

Good luck getting it back to brand new!
Jonathan

pa_bell1960

Hi Jonathan,  The date inside the handset is also 1976, so it stays. The cracked receiver cap is also the same date, but I have to find one of those. I plan to do the peroxide treatment on it tomorrow. The dial is going to need a good cleaning, so I will remove it to do so today.  Thanks for the advise on the cord break. I am going to try that.  Jim
Western Electric Telephones and Zenith Radios, These are a few of my favorite things!!!   Jim

pa_bell1960

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to show some pics of the finished base on this 2554. I polished the basepan, the hook, the gong on the ringer, cleaned the dial and added a polarity guard that I got from Richard Rose the Ericophone guy. These work great and found out how to mount it on the dial bracket from a BSP. Those things are amazing. At this time the plastics are all cooking outside in peroxide and the handset cord is on a dowel in the back windshield of the car. Final results in a few days.  Thanks,  Jim

HarrySmith

Looks good ! Nice jobn! Can't wait to see how the plastics come out.
What is the equipment on the bench behind it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

pa_bell1960

Hi Harry, Thanks for the comment. I spent the better part of yesterday working on this thing. The equipment is a B&K Model 970 radio analyst that I bought off of ebay and the meter was destroyed during shipping due to poor packaging. Everything else works great. I also do some work restoring old radios. Jim

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GusHerb

Can't wait to see the results! I wish I had the patience (and right materials) to restore the dull plastics on some of my phones.
Jonathan

pa_bell1960

Well the plastics are as done as they ever will be. Unfortunately I am going to have to find a yellow non-modular handset with the caps, even though this one turned out well it is pretty badly beaten up, not what I want on this phone. Now all I`m waiting for is the handset cord to cook for another day or so and I will post final pics.  Jim

pa_bell1960

Well this thing has been done for a while now, but a death in the family has slowed me down on some projects. I want to thank everyone who commented on this little project, as I am pleased with the way it turned out.

jsowers

You got it nice and clean, including the grungy cord, and the plastics look good and match in your pictures. It looks like you got the cord repaired too and it looks great hanging on the wall. Great job!

Were you able to replace the cracked cap? The one in the pictures looks OK.
Jonathan

pa_bell1960

Thanks for the comments Jonathan, I`m really happy about the way the cord turned out. I did like you said and just moved the cord restraint down to the cut place after a little repair there, it`s all inside and out of sight. And no I haven`t replaced the cap yet, actually I am looking for a complete non-modular Handset shell with the caps.  Thanks again,  Jim