News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a frankenphone or original?

Started by Dan, March 14, 2009, 06:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I've seen 5302's with F1 handsets, and 5302's with G1 handsets, but a 500 with an F1 handset?

http://tinyurl.com/cqnvth

The wiring looks a bit messy, but hey, it has a bid. They didn't come from WE this way , did they?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

Frankenphone all the way. To my knowledge, W.E. never made such an animal. Now, I'll say this again. Independents have made several different frankenphones over the years. But again, it's hard to prove without repeatable examples.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

F1W handset with a Bell System case, I don't think so.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Yeah, that F1W wouldn't have made it onto even a "Bell System" branded 302 case let alone a 500.  Somebody paired up the handset to the base somewhere along the line but I'll wager it wasn't Ma Bell.

Ralph
Ralph

Bill Cahill

::) :-\ :o :o :o

Is this not ein frankenphone?
Yah, this IZ ein frankenphone!
Ach, toliba, frankenphone......
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

HobieSport

McHeath

That grey handset cord is curious, wonder what the story is there?  Did they make grey cords at different times than the early days?

bingster

The black "mystery phone" is a standard 5302.  500-ish case, F1 handset, standard 3" dial inset within the ring.  Exactly as it should be.
= DARRIN =

Ellen

I love that multi-colored one - just my cup of tea! 
I could do my car up that way, if I were a worse driver!

AET

Definately reminds me of a car I owned for about a year, the longest i've ever held onto a daily driver.  She was a 2003 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, then a Chicago Checker Cab, then a Portage Wisconsin Chick Magnet, well not really, but I did have a steady gf at the time!

My new daily driver (not that this is on topic at all) is a keeper though, I fell in love with the darn boat!

Thinking about rolling down the back window (remember those) and putting a sign, discard old rotary phones here!
- Tom

Dennis Markham

There are a million stories that come from the back seat of that Ford Crown Vic police car/cab/chick magnet-------I'll bet.

AET

I can only imagine, the guy had it reupholstered right before I bought it, so I'm a bit scared of the stories, plus I said I had a steady gf at the time.....  I actually still have the police divider cage sitting at my house!  If you know anyone who needs one, 20 bucks and it's theirs!
- Tom