"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring diag. for Western Electric candlestick phone w/added dial and ringer box

Started by MichaelD, February 17, 2015, 03:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelD

Hello all,
First time posting. A while back I bought, for my wife, a W.E. candlestick phone. It is part original and part repro. It has a new transmitter and receiver and also has a dial added. On the base it's dated Jan 29 15. It also has an oak WE ringer box with added capacitor. The network is a 425E.

So, not to be a cheapskate, I bought it in kit form. I occasionally repair old tube radios, so I thought I'd give this a try. I've connected the wires for the hook switch and dial, but the instructions that came with it aren't clear to me for hooking up the network and ringer box. The ringer box does have a cloth cable with RJ-11 connector.

What I am looking for is help in finishing the wiring so that nothing goes boom! Depending on what I can find in the way of instructions, I'll probably go over it all to make sure what I've done is correct so far. If anyone can point me to the proper way to connect everything I'd really appreciate the help.

If it helps, I bought this from Phoneco and the phone is their catalog number BS6BK and the ringer box is their RB15.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

p.s. What was the model number of this phone when made? I know it's been altered with the addition of a dialer, but I was just wondering what to refer to it as.

Sargeguy

Hello and welcome!!!We'd need to see some pictures, Phoneco often uses parts from different eras and different manufacturers as well as reproduction parts in their kits.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

425E       425E                       5-conductor Cord                     REPRO    HOOKSWITCH                           

Line------>L1<---->RR                                                                            o------------------------------------------o--------------    DIAL PULSING
Line------>L2<-------------------------------------------------------------------o-------^                                                                   CONTACTS
                 C<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------o-------------^   (normally closed)

GN<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------o_________________________RECEIVER

R<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- oTRANSMITTER
                                                                                                                                                                                                            /_________________________RECEIVER

B<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------o TRANSMITTER

This is one way to wire it with a 5-conductor cord, all except for eliminating the dial clicks in your ear while dialing. (We need to know what kind of dial you have or see pictures of same.)  One transmitter wire and one receiver wire connect together to the red wire from the 425E. Someone else can redraw this better and add the ringer connections. (The ringer is connected in series with a capacitor.)

Your phone as originally manufactured without a dial was probably a 40-AL or a 20-AL.

WE dial: dial pulsing contacts are Y and BK. Connect green wire from 425E to BB on dial and receiver wire to W on dial.
AE dial: Remove strap (if any) between 2nd and 3rd terminals (left to right). Use the 4th and 5th contacts (normally open) in parallel with the receiver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MichaelD

poplar1 and Sargeguy, thanks for responding.

I believe that the dialer is an AE. The cord that came with it is six conductor with spade ends. I wired the dialer from a diagram Phoneco sent, so if they're right it's right. I took some pictures to help, and hopefully I can post the correctly. I'm not fluent with phones and their terminology, so talk down to me all you want. ??? I'll get there!
Again, thanks for the help.

MichaelD

Hello again,

I've posted some pictures as requested. Now that I have, is the wiring diagram that poplar1 posted correct? Or does anyone see anything that needs changed?

Regards,

Michael

poplar1

If it's working with the phoneco diagram, using a 6-conductor cord, then that's probably fine. My diagram was just one way to wire it. Perhaps you could include a copy of the diagram here. I wasn't aware that phoneco had furnished a diagram with your purchase.

MichaelD

Hi poplar1,

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. They supplied a six conductor cable but nothing is connected to anything. The phone is not finished yet. The pictures I posted show some connections on the 425 network, but that was me trying to follow what they sent.  Here is what they sent. The quality isn't too good, but this is how I received it speckles and all.

Again, thanks for any help. I just would really like to get this assembled and working. I just didn't have the extra money at the time. Live and learn!

Regards,

Michael

p.s. sorry to keep using poplar1 to address you, but I didn't see your name on any of your posts.

poplar1

Either diagram should work. They are just two different ways to connect the incoming line (L1 and L2) to the network input, which is C and RR.

When the phone is off the hook and the dial is at rest, there is continuity from L1 to RR, and from L2 to C, on the network. The output is GN (receiver), B (transmitter) and R (common: one receiver wire and one transmitter wire.)

Phoneco has a permanent wire strapping L2 to C. My diagram has a permanent wire strapping L1 to RR. The opposite line wire in each case is switched through the hookswitch and dial pulsing contacts. (Phoneco also extends  the connection between the hookswitch and dial to the subset with an extra lead to F. This adds the dial filter to the circuit, but isn't really necessary.)

Phoneco:
         hookswitch                           dial pulse
L1--------x----------------------------Y--/--BK----------RR
L2================================C

My diagram:

L1===========================RR
L2-------x---------------------Y---/--BK---------C
          hookswitch               dial pulse

x: normally open contacts
/: normally closed contacts
===: strap

MichaelD

poplar1,

Thanks again. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Hopefully as I go along, it will start to make more sense.

Michael