News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

wall mounted from the 60's..how to remove cover? Please?

Started by Skidood, October 25, 2017, 08:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidood

Hi all.

My 85 year old mother just had her phone replaced with a used one that the phone serviceman actually provided.  She is still on a pulse line.  The photo depicts the type of phone (rectangular) but is not actually her phone.   I want to remove the cover so that I can go in and reduce the volume of the ringer.  It is insanely LOUD and scares her bird to death when someone calls.   The little bar at the bottom that you would normally use to adjust the ring volume does not move.  All I care about at this point is how to remove the cover.   I believe the phone is probably made by Northern Telecom since we are in Ontario, Canada.   Thanks in advance for any input.

Stubbypylon

Theres a little tab on the bottom near the center you push up to release the bottom part of the housing from the rest of the phone.  Then tilt upward and lift to remove the top from the base of the phone.  FYI placing a rubber band around the ringer gongs deadens the sound.
Craig Stanowski

Skidood

Thank you, I will try that, I dont recall seeing a tab but will be there in a couple days.

jsowers

Here's a visual of the release tab, FYI. Sometimes the handset cord gets in the way of seeing the tab.

It sounds like someone replaced the ringer and didn't line up the adjuster in the little hole. You can take the ringer loose with two screws, one on either side of the ringer, and then line up the "tooth" on the adjuster with the little hole in the ringer adjustment and tighten the screws. Then you can adjust the ringer volume to whatever you wish.
Jonathan