"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rusty and in need of Help

Started by AET, November 10, 2017, 02:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm out of practice, having a run of bad luck, or what.

So, I finally decided to get a landline for my house and have been running line, since there's only 2 jacks in this house and one doesn't work.

I ran one to my kitchen and tried mounting up an AE90 I had laying around. Dialtone, but the hook switch wouldn't work. I'm not an AE guy, so I dug an old WE 554 out of storage. No line cord. Hooked one up, using one of my 500's as a "template" for the leads, since it's been a few years.

I think I have everything where I need it, except I don't know where "black" from the line cord goes.

I tried wiring it directly into the phone jack, that didn't work. I tried making a lead out of some phone line I have, put on a modular plug, nothing.

I plugged a different phone into the jack and it works, so I know the problem has to be somewhere in the phone.

It has no dialtone, doesn't ring, and doesn't dial out. I've tried everything I can think of and have thrown in the towel. Any ideas?
- Tom

AL_as_needed

Could it be a polarity issue? I know for most rotary phones that should not be a factor, but maybe something got mixed up where the wire ties into the back of the wall jack. I have made stupid mistakes innumerable times  ::)

Also feel free to brush up and double check your phone's internal wiring against one of the hundreds of wiring diagrams on here. I actually have a few printed out and hanging up behind my desk for reference.

TWinbrook7

HarrySmith

Black and Yellow are not used, usually. Red & Green to L1 & L2 is all you need.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

On the AE90 the two line wires should be on 8 and 10. Switch hook wouldn't work as in you had dial tone that wouldn't go away when you hung up? This could be possible if the line is on the incorrect terminals (or the phone is mis-wired internally).

Again, it is great to have you back Tom!

Terry

HarrySmith

Sorry, forgot we were talking about an AE originally.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

We're talking AE and WE Harry, your contribution was valid. Mine less likely as Tom had dial tone on the 90.

Terry