News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Differences found in the all mighty 302/H mount

Started by BDM, February 05, 2009, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

So, we've been doing the 500 series to death. That's ok, but lets focus on some of the other models including earlier non combined sets. First, differences in the 302. Differences I've found that come to mind. Notice the early base plates have a free floating ringer mount, and different stampings. Also, steel vs brass bells. Network coils mounted in the opposite direction, solid handle vs hollow handle F1 handsets. What other small differences have any of you noted? Mind you, I'm not expecting anything to be said about the stand alone 37 model years with the larger mount ears, vent, 4H dial and E1 handset. That's a rather rare and one year only set.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

Some interesting differences between those two phones.  I have never seen a 302 with steel gongs.  In the picture it looks like the earlier phone is on the left.  I've not noticed the difference in moldings on the bases before.  I'll have to check mine and also take a look at how the network coils were mounted.  Were any 302's produced that didn't have the screening strip over the holes under the gongs?

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

BDM;
Interesting, I've noticed and commented about the steel gongs but the other items  are so subtle they slipped by.
Maybe that reversed coil is why after doing a few 302's I scratched my head when the wiring looked different ?
I'm going to have to go back to other 302 postings, to see if these have been posted, and I just didn't notice.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I also have not paid a lot of attention to differences.  I just work on them as they come along and didn't really compare them side-by-side.  I have also run into a few bases that were made of aluminum rather than steel.

Ralph, I know it is common to find the phones without the screening material over the vents but generally there is some glue residue there where they either fell off or were removed.  I think they probably all came with them originally.  But, I don't know that for a fact.

Also, again referring to Paul Fassbender's site, take a look here for information about the different F1 handsets.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

BDM

Yes, Dennis brings up another difference. Later chassis pans are aluminum. Too my knowledge, screening is always used. To prevent foreign material from entering the phone(naturally). If it's gone, it most likely fell off or was removed by someone who didn't know better.

The chassis pan with the free floating ringer is indeed an earlier version.  I assume Ma Bell simplified and reduced cost by eliminating this feature.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Something I've been meaning to point out for a while:

Some are painted black on the inside of the base, while others are left bare.

I've noticed that seemingly very early ones(like my 5302 with a base from '41) and very late ones, like my two '52 sets, have the inside painted.

The inbetween ones have a bare metal base inside.

There's also the wool feet, which we've hashed out here, with a few examples, lately.

Sargeguy

Early condensers were wider and coated with plastic, and had different retainer clips.  WWII 302s had steel fingerwheels and other parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

winkydink

Quote from: benhutcherson on February 05, 2009, 05:06:25 PM

I've noticed that seemingly very early ones(like my 5302 with a base from '41) and very late ones, like my two '52 sets, have the inside painted.

Yes,  I have 2 bases from 1947 and both of them have bare metal for the inside of the base.

Bill

My set, dated 9/45, has some elements of both your photos. It appears to have the same ringer as the one in your left photo - brass gongs - but riveted directly to the baseplate like the one on the right. The network coil has the orientation shown in your right photo - open end against the condensor. The steel pan is painted black inside. The F1 handset wires run through a small tunnel in the handle - does this mean it is hollow-handle? I'm not sure I know the difference. Both the transmitter and receiver elements are dated 1947. In both of your photos, the condensor package appears to have rounded corners - in mine, the can has sharp square corners. The four wire connections to the cap are on the right - in your photos, it appears that they are on the left. The 4H dial has a steel fingerwheel.

Interesting ...

Bill

HobieSport

Very interesting, Bill.  And lucky you to have a 4H dial.  Is there a date on the dial?

Dan/Panther

This is just wonderful....
Now that I've decided that 302's are my favorites because they seem to be workhorses and relatively straightforward, now this...
Now I'm going to have to go back and start over with my categories for 302's, and decide exactly what I have.
However it always seems to  come down to the base as a deciding factor..

D/P

Bill

HobieSport -

The dial is inked "4H" in orange letters. Nearby is inked "945TC" in somewhat smaller white letters. I assume this means a date of 9/45 (same date as the base), but I don't know what the TC means. Ideas?

Dan/Panther -

I think your goal should be to collect one of each variant. That would save you the effort of recategorizing what you have.

Bill

Dan/Panther

Bill

Bill Cahill

Quote from: benhutcherson on February 05, 2009, 05:06:25 PM

The inbetween ones have a bare metal base inside.

There's also the wool feet, which we've hashed out here, with a few examples, lately.

My 302 is painted inside.
Yet, the capacitor block has only a date on it. No other markings.
Look in General forums for my post on it.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."