News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new phone number

Started by Bill Cahill, February 06, 2009, 07:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

;D Welol, guys, I'm proud to say I just received my NEW phone number, and, I have proudly displayed it on my new phone card on my 1952 WE phone.
;D
New number is:
University6-8659    ;D
Bill Cahill  ;D ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

That's neat, Bill.   Now I want to do something similar.
Got any ideas anyone what first word I can use on my number?
The prefix is 937, so the choices of letters are wxyz and def.
So...
Xenophobe?
Yeti?
Weatherbeaten?
Hey how about "Zephyr 7".  Nice ring to that, eh?

bingster

Believe it or not, there was an official list:

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html

Coincidentally, the town I grew up in (College Park, Maryland) had a 937 exchange, too.  Ours was "WEbster 7."
= DARRIN =

rp2813

The only "93X" prefixes I could find in my metro area in an old phone book were WEst and YEllowstone.
Ralph

Bill Cahill

Quote from: HobieSport on February 06, 2009, 07:53:58 PM
That's neat, Bill.   Now I want to do something similar.
Got any ideas anyone what first word I can use on my number?
The prefix is 937, so the choices of letters are wxyz and def.
So...
Xenophobe?
Yeti?
Weatherbeaten?
Hey how about "Zephyr 7".  Nice ring to that, eh?

How about WE for Western Electric?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

Thanks Bill!  That'll work! :)

BDM

I notice some exchange names aren't on there. The area I live in was PRescott. I was lucky to obtain an original number card from a phone in this area with the exchange name. The area of Detroit I grew up in was TUxedo
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Konrad

The town where I live is Monroe, WA.  The original numbers were 794-xxxx and before that PYramid 4-XXXX.  I'm toying with getting a land line from Verizon just long enough to snag a 794 number so I can transfer it to Vonage.  I'd love to find out where the old exchange building was.  I've been too busy with work to do any digging on that.

Sargeguy

Mine is Elmhurst-1.  I just asked an old person which exchanges began with EL
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill Cahill

I'm very pleased to see so much interest!
I seriously wonder if we might be able to spark a nationwide interest in returning to exchange names.
I'm serious!
Bill Cahill  ;D

Dan

check this little page out,it helps.

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html

Mine is TWinbrook 6 4323

sorry I haven't figured out how to post links  via "tinuryl" or whatever this board uses.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

My prefix digits are 7, 6.
Which can be RO, Which my name happens to be RObinson,
So my new number would be RObinson 3-5508.

Go figure how lucky can a guy get.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Ellen

I called the local historical society to find my exchange name.  Edward (the director) looked in an old phone book to find it.  He said either HIllside or GIbson, but mine is 43.... not 44....  So I worked out my own: HEmpstead, which has local meaning.  He was looking in a 1956 book, so I guess 43..... came out after that; when did they stop naming the exchanges?

Steve K

Ellen:

All-number dialing started in 1958 but exchange names were still used into the early 60s if not later.  I have electronic company catalogs from the late 60s that still had some exchange names. 

Steve

bingster

Also remember that not all exchanges in a specific area that exist now, existed in the 1950s.  Many came about after the lettered exchanges were abandoned.  It's easy enough to just go through the list and pick one, but your current exchange may never have had an exchange name, which might be a reason why the man from the historical society couldn't find the exact exchange.

= DARRIN =