News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any significance to the differences here ?

Started by Dan/Panther, February 18, 2009, 01:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Look at the two Handset cords, and tell me if there is any meaning or significance to the direction of the coil windings.
Notice the white cord winds (for agruement sake) in the clockwise direction, and the Turquoise cord winds in the counterclockwise direction. It can't be reversed by accident, because of the strain relief connection at their bases. You can see the difference more clearly, by looking at the area where the cords enter the base.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

I know of no reason why there should be. It is only a direction difference in the cable going there, This has nothing to do with the way the headphone is wound.
I see NO significant differance.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

I'm sure someone will comment that the change came September 3, 1965, or something like that. It seems every variation has a specific date attached to it.
Bill, BTW you may be interested to know I have the same phone in PB Pink.
D/P

JimH

It looks to me that the turquoise cord is a replacement, the WE cords usually weren't that "straight" between the last curl and the spade ends.  I know a lot of aftermarket companies made cords, it may be one of them.
Jim H.

Dan/Panther

Jimj;
My thoughts also. Either newer version cord or aftermarket.
D/P

Dennis Markham

For my 2 cents worth, I have never seen or heard the direction of the coil to be discussed except when trying to make a cord usable after it has been stretched.  If one were to turn a cord "inside-out" it will tighten the cords and often brightens the color as the inside coils are generally less faded than the exterior.  It does sometimes give it a strange look as it enters the base, but it will tighten the coils and displays well.

bingster

The function of whether the straight part winds up above the coils or below them is solely governed by by the placement of the restraint.  I could be totally wrong about this, but I somehow doubt much attention was paid to the positioning of that restraint, and cords could wind up either way.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Well Dan, ya got me looking at all my coil cords. God knows, I'm a coil cord nut. Several are turned opposite from others. Never noticed this before.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Okay this is interesting, many of my phones cords are opposite of each other.  And I have a nice WE cord that also has the longish straight section right before it enters the housing, while I also have some that don't have this.

Dan/Panther

Thougfh I'm sure it has nothing to do with how the phone operates, I just find it hard that Western Electric would have such an obvious variation that they would allow just a random position of the restraint, I will be watching closely to see if a pattern develops.
D/P

JimH

You know, I've also noticed in all of those colored print ads that were done in the 60's,  the straight part that enters the handset is always put in such a way that the last curl "flips" up.  This to me always looked strange, when you could easily position the clip on the transmitter cup to hold the cord so that the first curl is pointing down.  Are we analyzing this too much? 
Jim H.

JimH

Jim H.

Dan/Panther

I position my cords coming out of the handset, so that the least strees distorting the coils is evident. Sometimes if you rotate the cord the coil will tighten up, some.
However I agree it looks better pointing down.

D/P

rp2813

I just assumed the flipped up coil coming out of the handset was an anti-gravity measure.  Looking at the WE NOS '67 cord on my black 500 it resembles the aqua handset cord in the way it enters the base.  Where it comes out of the handset it's sort of trying to flip up backwards.  Another black 500 I have with a '60 WE handset cord doesn't have the pronounced straight sections where it enters either the handset or the base.  Interesting observation Dan!

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
I just have too much time on my hands.
D/P