News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Working Navy AE 40

Started by Doug Rose, June 23, 2020, 08:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Last thing I needed was another AE40, but this was a Navy phone with the locking handset, so I went for it. Something to play with! Couldn't argue with the price.

These days of being in lockdown and working from home can be tiresome, especially with the boredom.

Cloth cords were shot and the fingerwheel had some damage. I thought the original Metal "dial card" was gone as well, but it was just the original celluloid stealing some of the orange paint. Dial had a chrome base and fingerwheel, so I went with a chrome fingerwheel and retainer.

I have never seen a more perfect cloth bottom, as these are usually destroyed. Not sure why the locking handsets came with the cloth bottoms?

Now...where to put it!...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROTARY-PHONE-DIAL-DESKTOP-LOCKING-HANDLE/274398344323?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 23, 2020, 08:04:32 AM

Not sure why the locking handsets came with the cloth bottoms?

I think the cloth bottoms on AE 40-type sets were because of war shortages of rubber. They were probably only done for a few years.
Just a guess,
Jim
The hard thing to find is a felt bottom set that still has a decent paper lable.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Gary

Doug Rose

Kidphone