News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

hooking up a 500 C/D 9-70 phone

Started by princessphone, March 07, 2019, 10:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

A while back bought a very nice red 500 C/D  9-70 phone. It has a 3 wire line cord (red, green and yellow). I connected the red and green to a working jack and left the yellow unconnected.  I can make out calls but the phone does not ring for incoming calls. Where should the yellow wire be connected to? I have tried to connect the yellow to the green and then the phone rings fine (similar as in my Princess phones). My question, is it proper and safe to do so?
Thanks, John DeJonge         

RotarDad

You did just fine. Connecting the yellow to the green completes the ringer circuit.  Inside the phone, you could also move the black (very dark green) ringer wire to the network screw where the green wire attaches instead.  Either way completes the ringer circuit.  In the old days, the ringer voltage was sent down the red wire, then through the ringer and yellow wire to ground.  Now grounded ringing is no longer used and the circuit completes through the red and green wires.

My preference on 500s is to do what you did.  I like to keep the wiring inside the phone just like it was in the old days.....   Obviously, if you attach a modern 2-wire line cord, you must change the wiring on the network.
Paul

princessphone

Thanks Paul. I also like to keep stuff as original as possible. I have some 505A plugs and use one. I'll just double up the yellow with the green as I have done with my Princess phones.
Best regards, John DeJonge