News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Broken Princess Telephone

Started by Cole, September 13, 2019, 10:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole

On eBay last weekend I bought a Western Electric Princess Touch Tone. It arrived today but as soon as I opened the box and saw the number card sitting loosely on top of the wrapping I knew it was bad news. The seller wrapped it only in brown wrapping paper inside a small box with no other packing, and the top housing shattered in transit.

I'm not sure what to do. I've had a few fans arrive with slight damage, but never had anything this major. I'm going to message the seller and send a picture.

I'd really rather just keep the phone if it's worth repairing. Should I test it and perhaps see if I can find a new top cover? There doesn't seem to be any other damage unless something happened to the circuits as well.

Would I possibly be able to find a cover on here? It's an avocado green-like color and dated to 1972.

If I keep it I also need a front cover for the four pin plug. It is missing.

oldguy

I would get a refund & buy another, they are easy to find. They are easily broken during shipping. You need to tell the sellers how you want then packed. The hand set wrapped separately from the main phone body in the box. I'm out of town so I don't have access to my statement I message to the seller but others here have a boilerplate statement they use.
Gary

Cole

I see. My Trimlines were packed well in bubble wrap with the handset separated from the base. I messaged the seller with a picture stating it got broken in shipping.

tubaman

That's bad - I know how upsetting it is when this happens. :'(

SunriseEarth

That's definitely disappointing.   You should definitely advise the seller and request a refund.   And yes, you can probably find another housing
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Cole

I'm a bit surprised that I sent the seller a message Saturday but I still haven't heard anything. I'll give a few more days and message again I guess.

tubaman

Quote from: Cole on September 16, 2019, 10:36:55 PM
I'm a bit surprised that I sent the seller a message Saturday but I still haven't heard anything. I'll give a few more days and message again I guess.
If they don't reply quite soon I'd open an eBay 'Item not as described' case and get their process started.
Like you I always try to sort things without having to do that, but a few sellers just don't seem interested in dealing with issues.
:)

Babybearjs

I'm surprised to see that. I thought for sure that ALL of western Electrics housing were heavy duty! I've never seen a phone shatter like that. I'm wondering is maybe it was an ITT or SC phone.
John

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 17, 2019, 05:16:47 PM
I'm surprised to see that. I thought for sure that ALL of western Electrics housing were heavy duty! I've never seen a phone shatter like that. I'm wondering is maybe it was an ITT or SC phone.

Princess shells are very thin and fragile.  At least a few of mine have cracks which I glued closed.

Larry

Cole

Well I made a claim for damage, and the seller sent me a return label. I was hoping they'd let me keep it, since they'll likely just throw it away when they get it. I'd rather just get my money back and get a new cover for it. But I guess I'll just send it back...