News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your "Holy Grail"?

Started by Phonesrfun, November 23, 2009, 12:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I am curious as to what folks out there are really wishing to get under the tree this year.  Myself, I kind of gave up looking for that one phone that would be the "end-all, be-all" of collectibles.  In other words, I think I am bordering on having too many phones!

Long ago, I just had to have a wood magneto wall phone.  Well, I got one.  Then I had to have a candlestick....Then I got one.  Then it was an A1.  Now I have one.  And on it goes.  I really like the looks of the Kellogg 900, and I must admit I have a couple of other favorites, like my early pink Princess.

One thing I like about this hobby is that there is no one right answer.  On the flip side, it seems like an insatiable appetite.  Once I get one thing, it seems I am on to the next thing.

So, what about the rest of you?  What do you have your eyes peeled for as you scour the antique stores, the yard sales, e-Bay, and Craigs list?

Just curious.
-Bill G

AET

If anyone got me a rotary phone for Christmas, I'd be surprised.  I will likely get little to nothing.  I would like any phone, preferably one I don't have.  I'm kinda craving a Rose Beige 500 right now.
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Tom:

Your word "Craving" is oh so appropriate for what I am talking about.  I have craved many times; only to get a new craving later on.  Good luck on the rose beige 500.  Good choice.

-Bill G

AET

Well, I was craving a common one, a Moss Green 500, but just acquired two of them.  

Now the list

Rose-Beige 500
Aqua 500
Turquoise 500
Harvest Gold 500
Blue 500
Clear (someday) 500
Red 500

That doesn't even get into everything else, the 500's are my base, and then onto getting all the 302's and whatever I come across in between.  It's like the TV promotions, you want to 'collect them all!'

With this list, I better buy a house. Both for the room, and so I can take a second mortgage to buy phones!
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Nice list.  It will surely be impressive if you can get some of them!  They're out there....someplace, and if you keep at it patiently, you can probably do it without a 2nd mortgage!

-Bill
-Bill G

bingster

Interesting question, Bill.  I'm not sure I have a holy grail, where single telephones are concerned.  The really old candlesticks don't really move me, so those are out.  Anything oak is out, too.  They're neat, but not really something I crave. 

And of the newer (1930s and up) phones, what is there that's ultra special?  I guess finding a rare 500 soft plastic color would certainly count... Med. Blue or Dark Grey, for example.  A two-tone metallic D1/E1 in beautiful condition would also rank high for me.  An A1 wall phone (would that be a 254?) is an incredibly rare thing that I'd love to have, too.  In fact, I think that one would be tops for me right now.
= DARRIN =

foots

I have my holy grail - the Connecticut Telephone and Electric TA-166U Signal Corps desk phone, which needs a complete restoration. Next on my list is a Stromberg Carlson 1248 magneto phone, actually 2 of them. After those I do want a WE Signal Corps 302. I'd love to have a candlestick desk and similar wall phones, but they are just too expensive.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

I want the phone lady under my Christmas tree:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

right now i really want a "birthday phone". i would also like more with soft center dials. would love to find a spacesaver wall phone. but,  nothing i consider the holy grail.

briny, i have been called "the phone lady" many times........but i sure don't look like the lady in your pic :o
donna

JorgeAmely

My holly grail phone is a red AE-40 with chrome metal bands.
Jorge

jsowers

If I had to wish for the moon, it would be a mahogany brown soft plastic 554. Or a bigger house to put my collections in. Neither one is likely to come along soon.

Donna, it's a good thing you don't try to wear a feather boa and spike heels when climbing into one of those underground wiring trenches. They call it a "manhole," but they'd have to think up a new, less sexist name. Like underground wiring salon.

Seriously, I hope everyone gets the phone of his or her dreams under the tree. Wish and it might come true.
Jonathan

mienaichizu

for me the AE34, WE 302 and an WEA1

Phonesrfun

Be careful about what you wish for, Briny, If that were a real person, she'd probably be in her 90's by now.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Brinybay on November 23, 2009, 04:35:08 AM
I want the phone lady under my Christmas tree:

Brinybay;
Be careful what you wish for, that phone lady may be close to 90 by now...

Bwanna;
You would be welcome under my christams tree anytime.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

I gave up hoping for something I collect being given to me as a gift a long time ago.  I've been told that giving someone something that they would get themselves is not the best gift!  As for that next prize,  I would like some more colored 554s! 
Stephen