News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 from ebay. Question about finger wheel

Started by mdodds, April 12, 2016, 12:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

One other thing that was brought up by the OP, the dials on the AE phones run noisier than the WE dials.  It doesn't necessarily mean anything is malfunctioning.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Mr. Bones

I've never thought my old AE dials to be noisier, they just sound different, the same as your voice versus mine...

Best way to tell the true difference is to send it to Arizona for a $6.00 spa visit. ;D

Interested to find out the perceptual difference...

Enjoy your wonderful phones, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Indeed, I think AE dials in general are quieter.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on April 13, 2016, 09:00:26 PM
..except for when they have dust of any kind between any gear teeth. Then they get really slow and really, really loud! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 13, 2016, 09:07:19 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on April 13, 2016, 09:00:26 PM
..except for when they have dust of any kind between any gear teeth. Then they get really slow and really, really loud! :o

Well, I think you can say that just the same for WECo dials, and they have a lot more gears.

19and41

The AE dials have a dry buzz that the WE dials don't have.  If the television is on and there is a rotary phone being dialed,  I can tell without even seeing the program that it's Hawaii Five 0 because they used AE phones primarily.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

19and41

I'm not saying it a bad thing, just an identifying feature.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Actually I meant that I never noticed they had AE phones on that show.  It has been several years since I have seen the original Hawaii Five 0 show.

19and41

If there are any stations in your area that carry it, the Decades channel carries the originals periodically.  I guess Hawaii was GTE country.
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

Hawaiian telephone was part of GTE .Lots of type 80s with numbers only dials.

mdodds

19 and 41 described the AE dial sound perfectly. My other AE's have that low buzz sound on the dial return. This one has the buzz, but it has a moan also, similar to the sound a motor with bad bearings makes.
The inside is nice and clean, so I think the problem is dry rotating parts. I'll hopefully get a chance to tear the phone down for cleaning this weekend and get a touch of oil on the dial.
And I'll be looking for Hawaii Five O reruns :)

andre_janew

I have a Leich phone with an AE SATT dial.  It is quieter than a WE dial.  In fact, it makes hardly any noise at all.  It does work, though.

19and41

Quote from: mdodds on April 16, 2016, 07:45:59 AM
19 and 41 described the AE dial sound perfectly. My other AE's have that low buzz sound on the dial return. This one has the buzz, but it has a moan also, similar to the sound a motor with bad bearings makes.
The inside is nice and clean, so I think the problem is dry rotating parts. I'll hopefully get a chance to tear the phone down for cleaning this weekend and get a touch of oil on the dial.
And I'll be looking for Hawaii Five O reruns :)

When I serviced my AE40's dial mechanism, I also alcohol swabbed out the cup the flyweights rotate in, just to make sure there was no oxidization to interfere with the function.
— Arthur C. Clarke