News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Next Project: Cory Phone

Started by mienaichizu, August 21, 2009, 03:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Just be careful around those edges. I am sure it look very nice at the end of the day. I am going to be sanding an aqua blue AE80 this weekend. Let's compare notes this Sunday.

Jorge

bingster

I vote for a can of yellow spray paint to fix it. 
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I may be with the Bingster on this one, it's pretty far gone the more I look at it.  After sanding it you may end up with a really thin shell that is very weak, and you might also lose a lot of the detail lines.  Worth a go I'd guess on a section to see what happens, but it's probably in the worst condition of any I've seen. 

mienaichizu

you are right Heath, yes this the worst phone condition I've seen too. Let's just see what this phone would end up too. I'm almost done in removing all the paint.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: HobieSport on September 16, 2009, 12:50:36 AM
Is the AE 80 plastic formula different from WE plastics?

ABS and soft plastic seem the same for both companies.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Hi Ramil:

This is the status of my Aqua phone. The numbers wheel and handset are done, but the housing developed a case of yellow stains after I used EasyOff on it. It comes off, but it will take a few more hours of sanding to get rid of the stains and bring back the original color.

I try not to sand into the edges to prevent "rounding off a phone", but it is possible to remove those nicks by carefully sanding the edge of the handset.

Looking forward to see pictures of your progress.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Phonesrfun

I agree, it is looking great. 

AE has a few ridges that would make sanding pretty tricky.  The spine down the back of the handset for one, and those peaks on the center of the hook "ears", in particular.  Those would be pretty easy to inadvertantly sand smooth.  Western phones have the logos behind the hand hold and on the underside of the handset to watch out for.

-Bill G

McHeath

That will be a very pretty phone when done, it's coming out nicely.  All those edges on an AE would be a lot harder to sand than a WE 500, methinks. 

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
I vote for a can of yellow spray paint to fix it.  

Bing; sometimes you absolutely shock me. ;D

Ramil; I like how you named your AE 80 telephone as part of Philippine History. I honestly don't know very much about the Philippine Islands except World War two and Douglas MacArthur and Emelia Marcos' shoes. It's shocking how little I understand.
-Matt

foots

You are right Hobie, other than what you mentioned I don't know very much about the Philippines. I can tell you this much, I have seen several very attractive women from there. I'm going to check the local library this weekend to see what I can find out about the Philippines.
  Jorge, that phone seems to be coming out very nicely - I really like that color.

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

McHeath

We had dinner with a guy from the Philippines in July, he is the husband of a fellow teacher I work with.  He's about 30 and is one amazing go getter, he's a lawyer but also owns a very nice upscale restaurant where we ate.  Heckuva nice guy, real personable and can tell great stories.  Also does some club DJ work in his "spare" time.  I don't know if that's a cultural trait or just his personality, being so driven. 

mienaichizu

Jorge, your aqua phone is looking very nice. I have stop for a while restoring the yellow phone because of my new job. Most of my time is on the office so there's not so much time restoring, only on weekends. Once I'm finished I'll give you all guys an update.

To Hobie, you mean Imelda Marcos, the late first lady. Its true she has vast collections of shoes and some of it was never used at all.

HobieSport

Too bad Imelda didn't collect phones instead of shoes, and then leave them to a museum or something... ;)
-Matt

JorgeAmely

Ramil:

All the yellow spots that appeared after treating the surface of the Aqua Phone with EasyOff go away with some bleach. I would try to submerge the body of yours in bleach, 4 parts bleach to 1 of water. This is a strong bleach solution, so keep your eye on it. It didn't take long to remove most of the spots.

Jorge