News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Squeaky W.E. #6 Dial

Started by JmanA9, May 18, 2010, 08:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JmanA9

I have a #6 dial that's quite squeaky.  When you dial a number past 4, it squeaks almost every time on the return.  The dial is functioning at the correct speed, according to my CO's dial speed checker.  I know that certain types of oils aren't recommended for fixing dials.  Could someone tell me what oil I should use, and what part(s) to oil?

Thank you,

Josh

Dennis Markham

Welcome to the Forum, Josh.  I made a post a while back showing oil points for a #7 dial.  The #6 is very similar.  Check out the photos in this posting and relate them to your dial.  DO NOT oil the governor.  You can place a drop of oil where the axle for the governor is visible.  I just place a tiny drop there and wipe away excess with a Q-tip after turning the dial so oil can seep around the axle.  A fine machine oil works good, some use 3 in 1.  Do not lubricate with WD40 as it will dry and become gummy.  Here's the link to the previous post:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.msg2467#msg2467

BDM

Just to add to this. I use gun oil for all my moving parts. Regardless if it's in a radio or telephone. I apply it very lightly. CLP gun oil or Remington are good choices though any high quality gun oil will work. I avoid oils with paraffin wax like 3 in 1 (red bottle). I apply it using a "Q" tip with excellent results. You'll get 100 different opinions to using oil, but this has worked very well for me over the years.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
Gun oil and greases are excellent for small items where gumming can be a problem.
I've used gun oil, and grease on model trains, radios, phones even on guns.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JmanA9

Thank you for the help.  I bought some Remington Oil, and oiled all of the points shown in the thread linked to by Dennis.  The #6 and #7 are quite similar!

Unfortunately, my dial is still squeaky.  After playing with it for a while, I'm pretty sure it's the governor.  However, I'm not sure what to do now.  I made before and after sound recordings.  The before and after are almost identical, so I'll just post the recording I made after oiling.  The key to figuring this out may lie in the fact that the dial has to be spun at least half of the way to get the squeaking, and it only squeaks when the dial is returning.  I should probably mention that other than this problem, the dial is very clean and seems to be in great shape.  It's stamped 6H-3 5-57.

If someone can give me any ideas based on the sound recording, or anything else, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you all!

Josh

Phonesrfun

You can send it to Steve Hilsz.  He refurbs any dial for, I think $6 plus postage.  That's the best thing to do.
-Bill G

paul-f

Josh,

Dial noise is usually caused by one of three things:
  1. Dirt in the works,
  2. Dry surfaces (missed lubricating a point or two), or
  3. Physical damage (misalignment).

Keeping these in mind, try to localize the source of the noise and home in on which is most likely in your case.

Hint: Even if you think the dial is clean, it may help to clean it some more.  Usually several applications of spray contact cleaner followed by running the dial for several dozen cycles eventually gets the gunk out without the need for disassembly.  Topics posted earlier explain this in some detail. 

Sometimes it takes several applicaitons to soften the dirt to the point that it will flow out before the solvent evaporates.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JmanA9

Paul,

Thank you very much for the suggestion to use Contact Cleaner spray.  I bought the unlubricated kind from Radio Shack.  Wow, that's some good stuff!  I got lots of black liquid out of the gear areas.  The majority came out from around the governor.  I'm very glad I didn't have to take the dial apart, that will be a task for some other time.

The dial spins and returns very smooth and squeak-free.  My NE payphone is almost ready to go up on the wall now.  Thanks to all who helped!

I've been collecting old phones for almost 2 years now, and I just found out about this forum.  I've read a lot of the old posts already, and I'm sure I'll be around for a while.

Josh

paul-f

You're welcome, Josh.

It's also worth noting here that some contact cleaners (or industrial degreasers) dissolve some forms of plastic. 

This isn't usually an issue with #6 dials, but can be a problem with later #8 and #9 dials that have plastic components -- and is certainly a problem with touch tone pads.

Most products that are marked electronic contact cleaner are safe, but it's wise to test first.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I have a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner spray which does wonders on sticky dials.  I have used it on all kinds of dials including a GPO 706 type which is mostly plastic.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, where would one find the product you mentioned?

LarryInMichigan

QuoteLarry, where would one find the product you mentioned?

I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts.  They have store all over the place around here.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Thanks, Larry.  There are a couple within a few miles of me as well.  I normally use the contact cleaner from Radio Shack.  It works great but the can is small for about $10.  It doesn't take long to go through a can of it.

Kenny C

stub oiled my dial and it works fine PM him on what to do
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010