News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need some expert input....

Started by pbghmike77, November 03, 2011, 11:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbghmike77

I picked this up at a estate of a bell systems employee... I've come to thee conclusion that is was used in some sort of telephone operation. Has a few WE parts on the bottom and typical WE/BS markings but none that say Bell. There is one date on the bottom of 1947. Looks just like a mailbox.  I pop in from time to time but not a collector, just a picker.. Thanks for any help.

AE_Collector

A Strowger switch from a Strowger Central Office. "Strowger" is one of the technologies that was used to switch phone calls "Automatically" by the end user using a Dial Telephone rather than by an Operator at a Cord Board ("Manually").

Generally not worth a whole lot of money. I see them starting at $19.95 on ebaY frequently and in most cases they wouldn't go too much higher than that. Still a collectible item to anyon into the switching side of phone collecting.

Terry

ESalter

That's right, and more specifically, I believe that one's a connector.  Our Strowger switch is an AE, so I'm not overly familiar with the WE switches, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Being if it's a connector, it would have done the operation for the last two digits in the telephone number.  ---Eric

pbghmike77

Quote from: ESalter on November 04, 2011, 08:58:28 AM
That's right, and more specifically, I believe that one's a connector.  Our Strowger switch is an AE, so I'm not overly familiar with the WE switches, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Being if it's a connector, it would have done the operation for the last two digits in the telephone number.  ---Eric
I have no idea but I do appreciate the information. It may not be WE but it does have WE components. This one seems to have more of the round things in the back of it than most I see listed on Ebay. Sorry for my ignorance, you guys are great here thanks for all the help.