"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best Oil/Lubricant? for dial.

Started by HowardPgh, November 09, 2012, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW6ATV

Hi all-

In the "master list" in post #16 of this topic, I do not see the "Zoom Spout" oiler included; it was mentioned by RDPipes in post #57. The manufacturer is Supco, and it is their item M098, but I also see it with other brand names all in the identical bottle (mine is labeled "ERP", but it also has the same trademark logo as do others).

I bought this product specifically after reading discussions mostly about lubricating vintage TV set tuners and other shafts (my main antique-electronics hobby), and record players/turntables (where oil is needed; Super Lube is my grease of choice after comparable research). Beside the obvious advice against WD-40, they said 3-in-1 and similar oils will become gummy after many years but had never had such problems with Zoom Spout. Though I have not yet lubricated any dials, I do have a Northern Electric pink Princess phone whose dial is slow in normal position but OK if dialed with the phone upside down. That will be my first dial to fix.

TelePlay

Quote from: ChrisW6ATV on March 15, 2023, 09:13:11 PMIn the "master list" in post #16 of this topic, I do not see the "Zoom Spout" oiler included; it was mentioned by RDPipes in post #57.

That is correct, Zoom Spout was offered by RDPipes as a lubricant for electric motors, not dials, and as such was not added to the master list of dial lubricants.

Contempra

If you always had to trust what they say about the kinds of oils, you would never buy them. I have been using sewing machine oil for years, I have never had any problems. "3-1" is also excellent, as is synthetic oil for watchmaking.

As for your phone, cleaning the cogwheels and then oiling the parts (the shafts and a few drops on the teeth) you turn your dial from "0" at least two to three times and you wipe off the excess oil . But never oil in the 'governor' .... he does not need it.

ChrisW6ATV

Quote from: TelePlay on March 15, 2023, 09:21:47 PMZoom Spout was offered by RDPipes as a lubricant for electric motors, not dials, and as such was not added to the master list of dial lubricants.
Thanks, and I will find out if it is good for dials as well, unless I see an obvious reason not to.