News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The stink of cheese .....

Started by LoveOldPhones, January 10, 2011, 09:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

I have a soft plastic 500 from 1956 and its plugged in and ready for service.
the other day.... i got a call and after about 3 minutes i was about to drop over from the cheesey smell.

lol  is there anyone else that uses a soft plastic phone on long conversations that has this problem?

i dont find that my early 50's black 500 with the metal dial has much odor really.... i think the handset doesnt have that same odor becuase its bakelite.

but WOW !  the  '56 is just smelly as can be.   Peeee  U !

now.... that said.... i LOVE that phone but i think anything more that hi how are ya.... is gonna have to be done on another phone.  lol

oh well.

bingster

That's the smell of collectability!  If it bothers you too much, get a pink soft plastic 500.  The smell is sweeter.  No lie. 8)
= DARRIN =

Just4Phones

I have a few soft plastic 500's and I never really noticed any smell until I received my '55 red 500.  The smell is quite strong and I agree its gross.  I washed it and aired it out and it will not go away.  I love the phone but I too cant use it because of the smell.   ::)

Dan

Take a dryer sheet and pack it in the ear piece.It can be cut down. The smell will be more tolerable (bounce, snuggles, etc)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

Is it me or does anyone like this smell? My 52 302 sitting on the night stand smells like it and you can smell it without using the phone I like it though.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LoveOldPhones

Dan....  thats a great idea about the dryer sheets.... i'll try them.  boy that phone really smells.

Bingster .....  a pink phone smells better?  thats pretty funny.... cant imagine why.
                 i think it must be on an individual basis since Just4Phones has a red one that smells

Kenny..... if you like the smell of it then somethings wrong with your smeller.  lol
           good GOLLY !   the smell about knocked me out..... are we talkin about the same thing here? lol

maybe some of them just smell more than others.....maybe they are asserting their personalities.
i think my '56 just wants to be left alone...... and its smelling nasty like a skunk so i wont bother it.
HAHAHAHA !

crotchety old phone !     Peeee  U !

Dan

I had to replace the 554 in the kitchen (red) that was soft plastic with an ABS plastic 554  red  one. The family hated the smell. (I like it, it's the smell of collectibility).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Ed D

Perhaps the smell is due to remnants of "cheesy" conversations made while using it over the years?

:D

Dennis Markham

I like the smell too...reminds me of a nice old phone.  Remember that famous line in the movie Apocalypse Now?

"I love the smell of soft plastic in the morning"........ :)

jsowers

My only connected soft plastic phone is an ivory 554 in the kitchen and I don't notice any smell from it, but I'm probably used to it by now. I think the lighter colors didn't have as much of whatever it was that made them smell. Still, when I'm polishing a phone, and I first take that receiver capsule out of the handset, I can't resist taking a whiff of collectability.

My first soft plastic phone was an ivory 56 500 found at a kind of seedy Goodwill. The plastic didn't smell bad, but the original coil cord sure did. Something greasy may have gotten on it or it was just disintegrating. It had turned almost brown. I had to replace the cord and throw it away. The outer covering was coming off and it was disgusting to see as well as smell. Nowadays I would be surprised if they would put it out for sale at Goodwill in that condition.
Jonathan

LoveOldPhones

OK... so i guess its an individual thing.....some like the smell.... some are too sensative to it.
i just cant seem to get use to it but..... i'm gonna try.

i dont smell it just sitting next to it... its only when i pick up the  handset to talk and my nose is right in there.....   then the perfume becomes overwhelming.  lol

really..... SO much so..... i have to change phones.
maybe it will get better..... but i have my doubts.

Tribune

Talking of strange phone smells, the first NE 302 I ever got has a wonderful smell - musty electronics, slight oily smell from the dial, age. But it did seem a familiar smell I couldn't place.

Yesterday I figured it out while helping my wife cook a roast. Its the smell of raw parsnip!!
Thankfully a smell I like.  :)
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Tribune on January 13, 2011, 12:35:54 PM
Talking of strange phone smells, the first NE 302 I ever got has a wonderful smell - musty electronics, slight oily smell from the dial, age. But it did seem a familiar smell I couldn't place.

Yesterday I figured it out while helping my wife cook a roast. Its the smell of raw parsnip!!
Thankfully a smell I like.  :)

yes i think i know that smell.... when i was a kid my dad had a workshop down in our finished basement where he worked on all kinds of electronic things.... and i do remember that musty smell.  it was full of old tools and tubes.....and  LOTS of nails .  it did have that  slightly oily smell.  lol

but i cant say as raw parsnips has that odor...maybe i should check again.