News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thank You Paul F.

Started by Dave F, January 17, 2011, 01:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

I just wanted to thank Paul F. for his very interesting article, "Taming The Wild Cards", which appeared in Singing Wires (the TCI Newsletter), Volume 25, Number 1 (January 15, 2011).  As a collector who has a special appreciation for Card Dialer phones, I really enjoyed learning more of the history behind their development.

{Paul, did you know that the Dialaphone has inside it an AE rotary dial mechanism (minus faceplate and fingerwheel) which is used to generate the dial pulses (BSP 512-190-902PT, Issue A, September 1960)?  Does anybody else find it somewhat ironic that Pacific Telephone was providing to it's customers (unknowingly, of course) Automatic Electric dials?!!}

paul-f

You're welcome, Dave.

Check out the photos in the on-line Bonus Pages section for the internal photos, including photos of the AE dial in the Dialaphone.

I haven't had time to test mine yet.  Do you have one in working order?

I've been casually collecting info on the history of automatic dialers for several years and finally had a few minutes to sort through the folders.  It always amazes me what connections pop out when stepping back to look at the bigger picture.

It's good to finally understand the difference between the 661 and 662 card dialers.

Stay tuned for more of the story.  I have enough material for at least two more articles on dialers, and welcome comments and observations from all in the group.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dave F

Paul,

I used to have a working Dialaphone but, sadly, it is one of the the things I got rid of back in the 1970s.  (I will forever be kicking myself in the rear for my shortsightedness)  Now, I sure would love to find another one!  Last summer I visited the JKL Museum, and Wayne had a Dialaphone sitting on a workbench, probably waiting for some TLC.

From what I have gleaned over the years, they had a ton of trouble with the 40A dial in the first Card Dialers.  Not only was there the ever-present polarity problem, but the 40A was also highly vulnerable to the low current capacity of long loops.  The A.C.-powered 41A solved both problems.  It's kinda funny, I never have acquired a 661, so I haven't had an opportunity to examine a 40A in detail.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Dave