News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pretty proud of myself!

Started by Nilsog, May 27, 2012, 03:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I won an ebay auction which contained a 534A subset a 302 and a nasty looking dial. Upon looking at the photos closer I realized there wasn't a notch in the porcelain dial plate. This kind of excited me, as I figured it had to be a number 2 and I've never come across one before. Well I finally received the package and the dial was in far worse shape than I figured it would be. It was seized solid, and I could see the rust enveloping the gears inside.

I figured "what the heck". If I messed it up any worse it's not like I would be out a dial. So I tore it apart.

I used CLR and a wire brush to remove the rust and started reassembling the dial. I kept having issues with the brake and the gear that go under the arm though, once I screwed the arm down over them they locked tight. I messed with it for hours trying to figure out what the problem was. Finally when I was about to give up, I grabbed a 5J dial and started looking at it to see if I could notice and differences... sure enough, the brass shell that contains the brake was bent, making the brake and its gear not mesh correctly. I very carefully straightened it back out and once again reassembled the gears... they worked perfectly!

I stole a fingerwheel from another one of my phones and tested it once I got it all back together and it works like new. This is only the second dial I've attempted to fix on my own, and definitely the worse of the two.

So now I need to find a finger stop and a new number plate and I will be golden! My first #2 dial!

Ken