News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Replacing Phone # in Dial of 554

Started by Phoneboy, July 21, 2009, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoneboy

I recently purchased an ITT 554 for my kitchen.  The phone is in great shape and I would like to put my own phone number on the dial.  I know nothing about phone repair/assembly and don't want to risk breaking the dial or phone.  

Can someone advise me on how to remove the dial so that I can insert a label with my phone number.  Thanks!

foots

First off hello and welcome. To removed the dial on your phone you must do the following. Turn your dial clockwise as far as it will go. Then look carefully just above the 0 and you will see a tiny little hole (its in the ridges just above the finger hole). Take something such as a paper clip and insert it into that tiny hole and push it downward. There should be some resistance as you will be pushing a small clip down. When the clip is down, simply turn the dial wheel will turn clockwise some more and at this point it should be detached.
To reinstall it, simply line up the finger hole that would normally be over the 0 and place it over the 9, push downward and turn the dial wheel to the left and you should here it snap back in place and the finger hole should be over the 0.
Please post a picture or two of your phone, the guys -n- gals here all like pictures.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phoneboy

Wow!  Thanks for the quick response.  Much appreciated.

McHeath

Welcome Phoneboy.  Yeah, these folks are amazing here, you can post a question about something very common or very obscure and someone will know what to do.

I just like old phone and am more of a phone fan. :)

Phoneboy

I tried this last night and it worked like a charm.  I constructed a homemade label for displaying the phone number, but it got me thinking. 

Do they sell replacement labels for old phones or does everyone with this hobby make their own?

HobieSport

Quote from: Phoneboy
Do they sell replacement labels for old phones or does everyone with this hobby make their own?

Standard phone replacement labels can be had at oldphoneworks.com, and Sargeguy here does custom labels I think.
-Matt

bingster

And there's also the number card archive over here:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/

Just print out what you want and type on it, or put the number on using the computer, before printing.
= DARRIN =

foots

Quote from: Phoneboy on July 21, 2009, 12:59:03 PM
Wow!  Thanks for the quick response.  Much appreciated.
Glad I could help. McHeath is right, there are some amazing people here. As for me, I don't know much about phones but am always glad to share what I do know. 
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phoneboy

Thanks again everyone.  I found Sargeguy on eBay and ordered some labels yesterday.  What would I do without the internet? ???