News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Dial Identification

Started by AE_Collector, November 27, 2011, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Seems like W.E. categorized and recorded just about everything. In comparison, it seems A.E. did the opposite. I know, kind of tough if not impossible to say :o
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

wds

Sunburst sold today - I was high bidder for about 5 minutes.  Long before the final sales price of $1907.
Dave

JorgeAmely

Quote from: BDM on May 01, 2014, 05:47:39 PM
Gents, can anyone supply any info on the differences of these to supposed AE number plates? Really I wonder if one is older than the other but I understand that question may not be answered so easily. Notice the differences especially with the 1 6 and 9. Plus the font is thicker on the left plate. No markings on the backs of these plates. Both came off AE40 sets and were very dirty. Indicating they had been on these dials for some time.

I have one AE40 and the numbers wheel looks closer to the one pictured on the left, but the upper circle of numeral "8" is a litte bit narrower.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Jorge

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Slal

This came off an AE type "F" phone & can't find exact match in photos out there.

51 dial or some sort of military variant?

The back has following stamped on it: "0D-4" and "879A"     

Any of those numbers offer a clue exactly when made or if ever refurbished?  Also trying to get estimate of how old phone itself is.

thx

--Bruce 

Kenton K

I'd say AE24
It has a stamped case and no silencing pawl which makes me think its a 24.

KK

Slal

Thanks for replies.

I'd read that topic.  Too bad that GTE doc doesn't have photos of 24A36 & 51.

Post by "GG" was very helpful but seeming left out of the discussion is 51 dial without the "A" suffix.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5867.msg70490#msg70490

Based on the logo on the back I'd agree with Kenton, but problem is my "mystery dial" is silent windup.  Also, the dial I have has a base that's either aluminum or its plating prevents a magnet sticking to it.

Does anyone know if pawl lever retrofitted onto 24A36 dials by military?

Meanwhile seller on eBay claims to have a 51 (#311023436915) & it looks almost exactly like mine except for two mysterious cutouts near governor & near "AE" logo.

*Love* to say it's a 24A36 since phone supposed to be out of ship from WW-II, but of course they'd have modernized other things when flight deck was angled for jets around 1952 to 1953.

"51" dial from pre 1954 or 24A36 dial with pawl lever (if such a thing ever existed?) 

thx

--Bruce

rdelius

I have seen many dials in navy sets that dated in the 1970s.The dials used the same brass chassis as the type 24 and 24a36 and the same method of attaching the pile ups.These dials sometimes had plastic impulse gears similar to later dials.There was the same pawl assy as on the type 51 dial.There was also a screw holding the return spring that was normally not on civilian dials.That dial on the Ebay auction was most likely for a remote control system for radio equiptment..It is not ww2 vintage but most likely mid-50s up to early 70s based on the goldish finish it would have been greyish then.Note the 24/24a36 type brass chassis,not zinc like the civilian type 51 and 51a dials.The red impulse cam was not on the earlier dials and was plastic by the mid 70s.The cut outs were for a dust cover i beleive. This is not for a telephone unless modified

rdelius

The frame? of chassis ? of both AE types 24 and 24a36 were made of brass almost 100% of the time.The 51 and 51a and 52 were zinc .Exceptions were some military or industrial dials which used the brass chassis even though used later type parts.I took down to polish 100s-1000s of these dials while at COT over the 25 years I worked there.This does not include the foreign made or dials used on tp6a sets.The Telephonics dails were zinc ,possibly before AE

Slal

Looks like the question of that 'silencer' part will remain a mystery then.  One member here was kind enough to e-mail me an AE bulletin on how to service 24A36 dials.  It's dated 1949 and no mention of that part.  It was for civilian dials though.

Anyway, finally got the phone itself disassembled as far as I can for restoration so will be creating topic there.

Thanks for replies and of course very special thanks for nice surprise when checked e-mail the other day.  :) 

--Bruce

rdelius

type 24 dials had no provision to  lift the ratchet during wind up so they clicked
Type 24A36 dials had a piano wire spring to deaden the noise
Type 51 and later dials had a sliding disc to keep the ratchet from engaging the teeth on the main gear
I would condider the military dial a type 51 or 51A  if using these descriptions.I have seen Phillips (Canada) dials that were of the style of the 24 and 24A36 (old brass frame style) but were silenced in the same manner as a type 51.They could not be side mounted like the Type 24 of 24A36 because the holes in the switch pile up were never drilled

AE_Collector

I have now merged Slal's topic here to the larger AE Dial Identification topic. I see a fairly good description of each model type back on Page 1 - Reply 1.

So the "Pawl Quieting" of the 24A36 was just a change in the spring wire material? I assumed that there was some other change in the design as well.
<edit> back to Reply 13 from GG on page 1 he wrote:
24-A-36: has a piece of piano wire over the ratchet pawl. 

I always thought the Pre Type 51 dials had stamped steel cases as the material always looked like steel. Eventually I realized that a magnet wasn't attracted to it so it isn't steel.

Terry

Slal

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 10, 2014, 11:47:50 AM
I always thought the Pre Type 51 dials had stamped steel cases as the material always looked like steel. Eventually I realized that a magnet wasn't attracted to it so it isn't steel.
Terry

So did I but doesn't the 24A36 in the AE illustration look like it's die-cast?

I'd also associated hex nuts on bottom with 51 series.

What am I missing here?

thx

--Bruce

AE_Collector

And the spring pile-up isn't removable on that one either.

The AECo diamond has a single line seperating the upper and lower portions.

From what I gave read here trying to learn how to determine which model any particular AE dial is, that one looks like a Type 51 to me.

The AE Dial identification document specifically says that the Type 24 does NOT have a cast type housing and that the Type 51 DOES. The document doesn't mention the Type 24A36 housing (though the table  says No to Die Cast Zink case) which leaves open the possibility that the material used for the case isn't aligned 100% with the model number change. Maybe late production 24A36 dials switched to "Die Cast Zink".

Below is the identification chart and picture from the document.

Terry