News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - March 2018

Started by AE_Collector, March 01, 2018, 01:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - March 2018  ** VOTE FOR TWO **

dsk's two Danish D30 from KTAS "Copenhagen Telephone Company" $61 US incl shipping
7 (22.6%)
Gary Millam's WE 1712B 1A Interphone 10 button 2-line Princess Telephone $24.99 Antique Store
22 (71%)
Sargeguy's 1895 N.E.T.&T. Company Pay Station with No.7 Gray Coin Collector for $799
10 (32.3%)
FabPhones 1954 Black French Ericsson for about $23US at a Junk Shoppe in France
5 (16.1%)
Doug Rose's 2-1955 WECo 500 in Oxford Grey for $85.00 and $18.90 shipping on eBay
13 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Terry

dsk

This time I probably found something more interesting in the US   2 sets of the Danish D30 from KTAS "Copenhagen telephone company" these were made from 1930, and had a built in counter. The counter was counting the number of calls made from the phone, and had to be reported every month, just like reading off your energy meter. The counter works! (added info)

They have survived for close to 80 years so far, someone has manipulated them so I had to change handsets, dials and the bell. ( back to original? ) Both are working, and after some shining up they look much better. I have still not started to shine up the bakelite.     Here is the chrome one did not turn out so bad?
This one is probably chromed later, most of these were black.

I ended up with a really high quality good shape sound "funnel" fitting the earlier handsets, this may fit one of my older phones, and 2 telephone plugs probably of dutch standard. That is the bonus. 

I payed a total of NOK 475 approx $61 that is included shipping and an extremely careful and solid packing.

More pictures: https://goo.gl/SBfAVA  Schematic's: https://goo.gl/CXNsSQ

dsk

tubaman

dsk,

You got a good buy there - they are really nice phones.
I have one like the black one.
The dials are pretty much a clone of the GPO Dial No 10, the slipping cam type, with a Danish fingerwheel and number ring.
I love the way the number ring is sprung so it sits tight to the fingerwheel until you dial.
Those dials have a lovely action when they are set up right.
:)

dsk

And now I can say the counter is working! I had to add some parts, they can be put in the phone, or  in a box on the line, it charges a capacitor from the line during about 5 minutes, then it will make counter add one when you dial the first digit, just as it did in Copenhagen in the old days.   ;D
dsk   

Edit: more info about this: https://goo.gl/CXNsSQ

tubaman

Quote from: dsk on March 07, 2018, 12:16:10 PM
And now I can say the counter is working! I had to add some parts, they can be put in the phone, or  in a box on the line, it charges a capacitor from the line during about 5 minutes, then it will make counter add one when you dial the first digit, just as it did in Copenhagen in the old days.   ;D
dsk

More details please as I'd like to get the counter on my one doing this.
:)

Gary Millam

I would like to nominate for March "Find of the Month" this WE 1712B 10 button 2-line Princess telephone. I found it in an antique shop in Middleboro,MA this past weekend. It cost $24.99 plus $1.56 tax. The light blue color is badly faded but there are no chips or cracks and all dates match to 10/66 through out the phone. To me this is an odd little phone as it has a transmitter in the base instead of a ringer. I checked Paul F. site for info and it is used in an interphone system. I have attached a few photos.

Gary Millam

Sargeguy

I'll nominate my barn find N.E.T.&T. Co. Pay Station with No.7 Gray Coin Collector for $799.  This was a recent Auction Contest subject.  It started life as a #4 two boxer in 1895 and was converted to a pay station about 15 years later. The transmitter is a beveled edge *250* and a 122 OST receiver.  The magneto is the older "big wheel" style.  The phone came out of northern New England as a barn find years ago and came to me by way of a local collector. There has been some nickel plating done by our own Dennis H. It needs a new silent signalling button, but it's a nice phone nonetheless.

Discussion of the phone can be found here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20004.0

Auction contest results are here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19958.0
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Gary Millam on March 14, 2018, 06:17:31 PM
I would like to nominate for March "Find of the Month" this WE 1712B 10 button 2-line Princess telephone. I found it in an antique shop in Middleboro,MA this past weekend. It cost $24.99 plus $1.56 tax. The light blue color is badly faded but there are no chips or cracks and all dates match to 10/66 through out the phone. To me this is an odd little phone as it has a transmitter in the base instead of a ringer. I checked Paul F. site for info and it is used in an interphone system. I have attached a few photos.

Gary Millam
Gary nice find.....does this work as a speakerphone with a transmitter in the base?....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 14, 2018, 07:57:50 PM
Gary nice find.....does this work as a speakerphone with a transmitter in the base?....Doug

2-line phones -- with transmitters added inside -- were used in the the 1A Home Interphone.
There were separate small speakers mounted on the wall or baseboard at each phone that were used only for the intercom function (2nd line position on the turn-button).

I don't recall ever seeing holes drilled in the housing like this one.

None of the 2-line Princess sets had internal ringers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

My French Ivory phone was a February Find of the Month entry, and as I collect Ivory and Black phones, this month I went on the hunt for a black version of the same model.

I didn't think I would be lucky enough to find one this fast but here it is. In very good condition and an older version (1954) than my 1962 Ivory, it makes for a good comparison to see what has changed in the years between them.

Price - 19e (approx 23$) from a Depot Vente in France:

Link: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20133.0

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Gary Millam on March 14, 2018, 06:17:31 PM

Gary Millam

That model was used with the Interphone system.  I would not be surprised if a collector would pay well over $1000 for it.  An aqua 10-button Princess Interphone is probably about as rare as they come.

Larry

dsk

I have done some further adjustments on the Expoga modified version, and now I have 2 working KTAS phones, with a counter working on a regular telephone system with no hence of voltage between 24 and 60 v. The transmitter cap is from a replica of an Antwerp phone, and it fits pretty well.  ;D

dsk

Doug Rose

I'd like to add my Oxford Grey 2 55 500 set for consideration. Purchased for $85.00 and $18.90 Shipping

https://tinyurl.com/y8f3gr9l
Kidphone

AE_Collector

The Poll is up for the March 2018 Find of the Month. Five Contestants again this month just like February so pick your favourite TWO and place your votes! Good luck everyone.

Terry

AE_Collector

About 24 hours left to vote for the March 2018 Find of the Month. Vote for your favourite TWO Finds.

Terry