News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sanding Plastic Phones and Removing Detail.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 21, 2009, 04:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Awhile back, I think it was Dennis that posted he had sanded a Princess phone, and the damage was  such that, he ended up removing the vertical steps on the front and back of the case.
I was starting to sand a Pink Princess, when I thought about what Dennis had written, and how could I avoid the same scenario.
Here is what I did.
I put scotch tape along the ridge, and covered the area I didn't want to remove. I kept an eye on the Scotch tape and as soon as it appeared to be coming off, I replaced it. Results, I was able to remove scratches, without damaging the ridge.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I'm not sure yet, because I haven't tried it, but maybe the same method will work when polishing, and buffing ?.. I'll let you know.
D/P

Dennis Markham

That's a good idea Dan.  Since we talked about that before I did sand a pink Princess to remove yellowing.  It was difficult in that all of the surfaces had to be sanded.  By just being careful I was able to sand it completely using squared edges of the sandpaper to get to the inside corners.  Your method is a good idea, especially to isolate a specific area when you won't be sanding the entire phone.

McHeath

Yer a clever rascal D/P, very clever indeed. :D Just when we thought that you would give up after mastering the subtle art of chemistry and phone cords, you come up with this sanding technique.  I vote we double your pay. 

Dan/Panther

I appreciate the the raise, when do I get the check....

Wait till you see what I'm working on now....
I'll give you a hint, It involves compressed air and baking soda... :o

D/P

bingster

I wonder if electrical tape might be even better for this.  It seems to me the rubbery makeup of the tape would be more resistant to sanding damage, and wouldn't need the frequent replacing that cellophane tape does.
= DARRIN =