News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1910? WE 317--HELP!

Started by nikeajax, January 31, 2012, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikeajax

Tusen takk!  I just noticed your avatar/crest: I know just enough Norsk to embarrass myself :D

I'm not sure exactly how I should use this phone: I do have an active land-line that I was planning on connecting it to, so does that mean I don't need the battery?  I'm also guessing I need some sort of dial-tone generator too, right? (Sorry if I'm not using the right verbiage, as with most things I do, I'm just wingin' t here!)

Jaybird

nikeajax

Holy smokes! I just noticed the wires that are left on the terminals: they're 12-gauge cloth-covered.  WOW, I've never seen that before, that doesn't mean much: kinda cool though...

dsk

:D
Then I would have made a strange solution. I would have putted in a resistor in parallel with the transmitter. 220 ohms should be fine, a higher resistance will give more sound, and stress the transmitter more. The capacitor should be smaller, you could try one at 0.47 (0.5) µF if it rings its OK,( if not just double it.) Moving the ringer capacitor and the line to the battery terminals makes it a CB telephone. To get a circuit for the receiver you have to put a strap between the A-and B line terminals.

The phone should ring, and you should be able to receive a call.  You will need an external dial pad or rotary dial to place a call.

dsk

PS, I wrote this yesterday, but my internet provider did disconnect the rest of the world  >:( I'm so angry, on behalf of all of you who lost the connection to the center of the world. ;D http://tinyurl.com/6mhfn2n
DS

nikeajax

DS, mange takk min venn!  Okej, with this configuration, I won't need a battery, right?  I have a big box of capacitors and resistors so I should be able to find what I need, but if not, I'll just buy one.

First I want to connect it to my field telephone to make sure it works, I don't think I need to change anything, but once that's all good, I fully intend to do as you suggested...

Oh, by the way, unless you have one of these birds:

you don't get to be the center of the world (Western Scrub Jay, native to California!) ;D

Again, thank you!
Jaybird

dsk

I would like to come over to see for myselves ;D -21 deg C this morning  :-\

You should try with your field telephone as it is. If its not ringing, just strap the cap.

You could use any battery delivering 3-4.5 V for the transmitter.

For use on normal network you have to consider a safety issue.  The touchable metalparts of the phone, including the hook switch will carry the line voltage.  Touching this, and something leading to ground at the same time may feel unpleasant, and even be harmful.   In the old days when the phone was on a  wall far away from pipes, and grounded electric equipment was a strange thing; this risk was = null.

Now you have to take care!

If you have some paint on the hookswitch its insulated, the inductor will have no function at all, and could very well be disconnected.

Encl: A sketch of how I think it will be.

dsk

nikeajax

"The touchable metalparts of the phone, including the hook switch will carry the line voltage" :o uff-da!  WOW... that's a good thing to know... HMMMM, wet kitchen floor, wet hands... answer phone... "Is that bacon I smell frying dear?"  I think I know of something I can dip the end into to act as an insulator-boot.
Jaybird

dsk

Just a guess, you are not parachuting, ski jumping, or other extreme sports, time for taking some risks? ;D

I have to admit, i wouldn't care to much, Ill guess it will almost be used as a ringer, and at least no long conversations.  >:(
And you will naturally keep your left hand busy with the receiver, and cant move more than 2 or 3 inches away from the transmitter.
What can you do with your right hand? Write a note on the little table on the phone. And  of course the ugly pencil hang there on an old piece of paper twine. Just like in the old days.  ;) And remember telephone is a luxury, no long calls please!  :D

dsk

nikeajax

I wish more people realized the telephone IS A LUXURY, but unfortunately more and more people are so addicted to their cel-phones it would be easier to get someone to stop smoking crack-cocaine than it would be to put that stupid piece of plastic down.  I refer to my cel as my leash, but I digress...

Actually, I plan on using this phone--really!  I usually can't get to the phone in my wife's office fast enough, so if I have it on the kitchen wall, I'll just have to make sure my hands are dry before stepping away from the stove, sink, Hoosier, etc. I like to cook!

Hey... if I put something in the chimes/gongs/bells like gluing a bit of rubber inside them that should keep them from ringing as loud, right?   I'm as jumpy as a cat and the doorbell usually scares the $#!+ outta me when it rings, man I gotta do something 'bout that thing!

Jaybird

dsk

To adjust the sound should be easier then that. Most bells has an eccentric hole, just turn it so the clapper almost don't reach it. Some gongs are centered, but the bolt is attached to the wooden box with some adjustment possibilities. Then you get the clean good sound from the gongs, but only with sot tapping from the hammer. Moving them to far, and you get only a soft buzz. 
The ringing will be softer with a smaller capacitor too, but you have to test it out, its no accurate science ;D

dsk

Dan/Panther

I kept all of the original parts as intact but added the items in the photo to the battery box section. The receiver and transmitter, and bells are to be hooked up and used.
I have to open the phone to dial, then it works as normal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

nikeajax

Dan, you must be a Hank Sr. fan if your dog was named "Kaw-Liga" :)  Okay, so tell me exactly what I need to get this to work more or less like a modern phone, what'cha got in thar son?  Is the rag up top hiding the triple-flamuctomizer, or the quadruple-induction-gunkulator?

Jaybird

Dan/Panther

Yes My Kaw-Liga was named after the Hank Sr song of the same Name. His father was named Hank so we kept the tradition going. I named one of Kaw-Ligas Sons Bocephus.

What I used was the insides of a 2500 push button. and basically mounted it and switched the wires from the receiver, transmitter, ringer etc. to the old components wire for wire while disabling the original wires yet leaving them in place. . I will later on need to upgrade to more modern Transmitter and receiver as the volumes are low. The capacitor and related components are in tact but not in the system for actual use,  the wires go where they are suppose to but not live. The rag is used to keep the outside of the phone sparkling clean.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

nikeajax

I just thought you'ens might enjoy this:

or this for more detail:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/12461?size=_original

WARNING, this might give you junk-lust!

Jaybird

Russ Kirk

Quote from: nikeajax on February 24, 2012, 11:45:50 AM
I just thought you'ens might enjoy this:

or this for more detail:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/12461?size=_original

WARNING, this might give you junk-lust!

Jaybird

Ahh,  if I only had  time machine - I would be a millionaire! 

I would love to see what is in those crates and drawers.

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

That looks like my basement, only organized
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409