News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1966 WE 500 in pink arrives

Started by McHeath, April 29, 2009, 08:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

And all this time I thought lining up dollar bills was the secret?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

I have no difficulty enticing wimmins to run.  Windowsills and dollar bills are another matter.

Ellen

No, the diamonds and dollar bills always turned me off.  Too embarrassing to base a romantic interest on finance.  Once the romance is established, $ are fine, but not as an enticement.  Yeah, well, so I got the romance, and the $ never showed up, nor the pink phones, so here we are, happily eating Chinese takeout for a romantic picnic.

What were we talking about?

HobieSport

Quote from: Ellen
...Yeah, well, so I got the romance, and the $ never showed up, nor the pink phones, so here we are, happily eating Chinese takeout for a romantic picnic.

What were we talking about?

:D Oh I guess we're just rambling and biding our time until we hear more from Heath about his "Gollum" 500.  BTW, what are "$"? ;)

McHeath

QuoteOh I guess we're just rambling and biding our time until we hear more from Heath about his "Gollum" 500.

I like that, the "Gollum 500".  It's one nasty phone my phone phriends, nasstttyyy.  So far I've not managed to work up the gumpshun to gert out there and scrape off the bug nests and mold and see if it works.

Meanwhile the pink 500 is sitting pretty on my desk, gathering admiring crowds of well wishers on a daily basis.  (Well it should be)

I see finlover sold a pink 500 for about 130 last week, this week he has a another glowing blue one up. 

HobieSport

Yep, Heath, you might need to use one of Gandalf's famous purges on the dreaded Gollum 500.
And yes indeed, that '63 aqua 500 of Finlover's is awesome as usual.  Where does he find them? :o

McHeath

He has a backyard bombshelter filled with colored 500s left over from a guy who worked for Ma Bell in the 50's and 60's and swiped phones every Friday on his way out the door.

Stranger things have happened. 

finlover

Beautiful phone, McHeath!  The pink color looks good as new.  I'm sure the cord can be untwisted, then given a boiling/ice water bath.

Quote from: McHeath on May 06, 2009, 10:49:12 PM
He has a backyard bombshelter filled with colored 500s left over from a guy who worked for Ma Bell in the 50's and 60's and swiped phones every Friday on his way out the door.

Stranger things have happened. 

If only it were true!  Here are the before pictures of the '63.  Typical gross green color but a nice phone underneath the filth.  I'm really pleased with the way it turned out and hated to see it go.  It went to one of my best customers who has an aqua fetish :).

finlover

In case you missed that auction, here are a few "after" pics. 

HobieSport

Finlover, How did you revert the yellowed (greenish) aqua back to the original color?  I have a couple of yellowed aqua 500s and had assumed they were too far gone, short of spending tons of time sanding them.

finlover

Try the hydrogen peroxide gel method on them, just check them frequently to make sure it isn't burning the plastic.  That white residue can be harder to sand away than yellowed plastic.  After that, you can use sandpaper to remove any surface imperfections and polish as usual.

Steve

If only it were true!  Here are the before pictures of the '63.  Typical gross green color but a nice phone underneath the filth.  I'm really pleased with the way it turned out and hated to see it go.  It went to one of my best customers who has an aqua fetish :).

Thats a great looking turquoise phone you ruined there Fin :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

finlover

Quote from: Steve on May 24, 2009, 08:14:56 PM
Thats a great looking turquoise phone you ruined there Fin :)

You're right, it would have been so much easier to polish it up and call it turquoise!  What was I thinking?!  ;D

AET

Finlover, I think you're my hero.
- Tom

finlover

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on May 24, 2009, 09:50:41 PM
Finlover, I think you're my hero.

Trust me, Tom, you do NOT want to see me in tights!!  A cape would be cool though...