News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1A Home Interphone

Started by Babybearjs, September 08, 2011, 01:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I was looking at some files and came across my copy of the BSP for the 1A Home Interphone. what ever happend to this product? I am building what I could call the revised version of this system. (1A1 Home Interphone) I've seen the accessories for this system, but never the whole thing.... what would this fetch on Ebay if it was sold? (just the control unit) and I've never seen the phones like that before. the ones shown in the practice- do any of them exist? or were they all recalled and refurbished? it would be nice to see this product come back... it really looks interesting.... and with the size of some homes, it would come in handy!
John

paul-f

The parts do appear at phone shows and on ebay occasionally.  Ebay listings often come in under the radar, as many sellers don't identify them as interphone components.

Putting together a working system would be a true accomplishment.  I haven't heard of many out there.  Keep us posted!

for reference, there's some info here:
  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?searchword=home+interphone&ordering=&searchphrase=all&Itemid=1&option=com_search
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

will do! if I find anything local, Il
'll shout!
John

jsowers

I've posted a few things on the Home Interphone on the Forum. Some BSPs and a brochure, I think. It does require special 2-line phones which aren't commonly found. I have a red 511X from the early 60s that has the interphone speaker on the inside. These phones had multi-pair mounting cords, of like 20 or so wires, because of the two lines, signaling, exclusion and the internal speaker. Here is the thread where I posted the 511X...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3034.msg40881#msg40881

Homes were actually pre-wired in the early 60s to accept the Interphone. I have a phone collector friend who lives in a house pre-wired by Pacific Bell Telephone in about 1962 and it has a thick multi-pair phone cable snaking in and out of walls in every major room, through the attic. The small round WE wall mounting harware was normally used with this type installation.

The control units don't come up often on eBay. I think I've seen one or two over 10 years. They go very high. So do the wall-mount transmitters that had to be placed next to the phone on the wall and outside at entrances. Those wall units came in all the 500 set colors too, so they could match the phone and the decor.

There was also a Farm Interphone. It differed slightly from the Home model and it was meant for more than one building, so the barn could also be wired.
Jonathan