News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4A setup not an authentic color

Started by QuietStove, February 26, 2016, 12:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuietStove

Take note of the following eBay listing for a "pink" 4a setup.

Western-Electric-565HK-pink-business-phone-with-4A-speakerphone

"and because all of the components have proper decals"

I thought these switch covers are made with the lettering cast in a separate piece and the rest of the switch is then molded around it.    I have never seen a 680 switch/microphone plastic cover produced with decals.  The font on the decal used looks to be incorrect. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong but is this setup is an aftermarket created color? 

EDIT:  Images added for posterity

Weco355aman

The phone and speaker phone has been painted Pink.
The off/on is P-touch  labels.
I won't bet my life on it but I think that was one of mine from when I was selling rebuilt painted phones.
Phil

QuietStove

Sure hope someone doesn't purchase this item thinking it is authentic.   The text in the listing description is misleading.

Babybearjs

I thought pink was a color option for this set?
John

QuietStove

Pink is not listed as a color option for the 4a setup in the corresponding BSPs.

podor

The sum of the components is worth a good amount, even if it's painted. The 82 type connecting block is pretty hard to find these days. I had to use a 223c and 149b to get mine up and running. I would say $150 may be a fair top end price for the complete set. I bet the reserve is a lot higher than that though.

QuietStove

The 82b connector is only needed if connection to a 1A2 system is desired.    The 4a setup connects to 2500/500SM deskset and is powered with a 85b1 transformer with an M16 connector.   Definitely value in parts - no value (to me) in the paint which could be problematic to remove.  Pink was not offered for the 4a setup and I believe the 1A2 deskset as well.   

unbeldi

Not to be critical, but I don't know why anyone would even think of removing the paint.
The paint job is clearly excellent, and removing the paint may only reveal prior surface imperfections and the plastic parts may not even be all of the same original color.
The refurbishing shops routinely painted sets for restoration and customer orders.  One would have to examine the set to see how well the hue matches WECo —59, but going by the picture I thought it looked extremely close.

Dave F

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 26, 2016, 01:32:11 AM
I thought pink was a color option for this set?

The 565HK was certainly available in pink.  You can see a genuine one here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5658.msg68558#msg68558

As far as the 4A Speakerphone is concerned, I still am not sure if WE made it in pink, but I have heard that they do exist.  I'm still waiting for one to magically appear in my collection.  I do know that Precision Components made some in colors that WE did not.  I have a PC4A Speakerphone in BROWN.  It came with a brown  ITT 2500SM phone.  The PC4A plastics are interchangeable with WE, so it may very well be possible that the pink is hiding out there somewhere.

Also, as one who does not really see the collectible value of repainted phones, I would agree with others who urge caution before bidding too much on this auction.

DF

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on February 26, 2016, 10:17:20 AM
One would have to examine the set to see how well the hue matches WECo —59, but going by the picture I thought it looked extremely close.

I agree and assuming the dial bezel is  an original -59 (becasue I would think "painting" a bezel would be cost prohibitive with the number detail coming into play and as such never done by WE shops), it seems like the painted (polane, right?) parts match the dial bezel quite well, at least if the good quality images posted by the seller.

QuietStove

PCI 4a  was also offered a creme color that is different then any color from WE.   While the plastics  between PCI and WE are interchangeable the 680 PCI plastic is much different then the 680 WE.  Each used a different font and the wording on the PCI 680 is "engraved" into the plastic and then an ink or other material was place into the engraving.  The WE 680 was made in two steps - first the lettering is molded in black or white as a separate piece and then that piece is placed into the final mold.    Additionally, electronically, the PCI and WE setups are not interchangeable.    The WE 4a was not offered in pink according the BSP.    The pink dial bezel was most likely borrowed from a pink dial from a 500 deskset.   If you look at the dial bezel closely in the listing there is some yellowing present mostly from sunlight.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on February 27, 2016, 09:39:50 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on February 26, 2016, 10:17:20 AM
One would have to examine the set to see how well the hue matches WECo —59, but going by the picture I thought it looked extremely close.

I agree and assuming the dial bezel is  an original -59 (becasue I would think "painting" a bezel would be cost prohibitive with the number detail coming into play and as such never done by WE shops), it seems like the painted (polane, right?) parts match the dial bezel quite well, at least if the good quality images posted by the seller.

My guess is that this is a standard dial.
They did make clear dial rings for backpainting special order colors. They  have black or white numbers/letters. I have an orange dial (w/white letters ) that was backpainted
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dave F

Quote from: QuietStove on March 01, 2016, 12:37:22 AM
<snip>...The WE 4a was not offered in pink according the BSP...
As many collectors have discovered over time, the BSPs do not tell the complete story about colors.  Many examples exist of WE items in colors which were officially "never available".  The 661 Card Dialer was never officially available in pink, yet I have a beauty.  WE never made 500 sets in orange, but I also have one of those.  Other collectors can probably chime in with other great finds, but the bottom line here is not to rely too much on what the documentation says.  I have heard from multiple sources that WE 4A Speakerphones do exist in pink.  I promise to post a picture of mine just as soon as I find it!

DF

unbeldi

Quote from: Dave F on March 01, 2016, 12:32:13 PM
Quote from: QuietStove on March 01, 2016, 12:37:22 AM
<snip>...The WE 4a was not offered in pink according the BSP...
As many collectors have discovered over time, the BSPs do not tell the complete story about colors.  Many examples exist of WE items in colors which were officially "never available".  The 661 Card Dialer was never officially available in pink, yet I have a beauty.  WE never made 500 sets in orange, but I also have one of those.  Other collectors can probably chime in with other great finds, but the bottom line here is not to rely too much on what the documentation says.  I have heard from multiple sources that WE 4A Speakerphones do exist in pink.  I promise to post a picture of mine just as soon as I find it!

DF

Very true.   A lot of BSPs that specified some set of colors in their first editions, were also never updated, when only the color choices were changed at a later date.

QuietStove

Quote from: unbeldiI have heard from multiple sources that WE 4A Speakerphones do exist in pink

Do have a photo of one can you post with sharp photos of the 680 plastic removed showing its top and bottom views?