News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very-Scarce-1951-Admiral-Flag-Ship-Type-D-Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, April 08, 2017, 07:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I see these from time to time, very expensive and in very good condition. If these were on a ship, I would expect the condition is be less than pristine. Anyone have any info on these. Displays wonderfully, just a little to rich for me....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/jwot48r  ( dead link 12-24-21 )
Kidphone

TelePlay

Never seen one of these but if it was indeed and Admiral's phone on the flag ship, I would expect it to be in pristine condition. Everything in the Admiral's cabin would be the same way, unless the flag ship was sunk, of course, and then the phone lost.

Other than a display or museum piece, would think it not likely to be used as a daily driver.

Ktownphoneco

I've never seen one before either, but there's a few of them show up on Google Images located here, at this link :

CW - Navy telephones Automatic Electric

jeff Lamb

Jim Stettler

They are AE and called an admirals ship phone They come up for sale occasionally. I think Terry knows a lot about them, however he just started a long holiday.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jim S. on April 08, 2017, 09:56:24 AM
They are AE and called an admirals ship phone They come up for sale occasionally. I think Terry knows a lot about them, however he just started a long holiday.
Jim S.

Where does this idea about being an "admiral's" telephone come from?

To me that appears to be fiction and the descriptions of the controls speak against that.  Such superlative terms, "admiral", are simply exaggerations to inflate the perceived value for auction.

No admiral would operate such a complex instrument.  For that they had signal officers or communication officers.

It is simply a Navy Type D Telephone.
Perhaps you may call it a speaker telephone intercom console.

unbeldi

Here is one of these installed on the USS Salem, commissioned in 1949.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on April 08, 2017, 11:52:48 AM
Where does this idea about being an "admiral's" telephone come from?

You're right, and it probably comes from the button labels, or extensions to be contacted by pushing a button. Both Admiral and Flag plus more are shown.

andre_janew

It is listed on Google as Navy Admiral's Command Telephone. 

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on April 08, 2017, 04:48:53 PM
It is listed on Google as Navy Admiral's Command Telephone.

Okay, that makes sense. I wonder what the compliment would be for a Navy Admiral, 5, 10 or more sailors of high rank making up the Command Staff for the Admiral? It's the telephone used in the Admiral's Command Unit or Staff. Whatever it was back then, probably even more today with all the tech that has been added in running a large operation in today's Navy. Then, again, it could be something totally different. Where is Terry when we need him . . .  ;)

unbeldi

Since when is a Google listing or eBay title authoritative for anything?

TelePlay

Here is a Type D from a 2010 post that looks to be in fine condition including a new handset extensicord.

which shows the "label" bar empty meaning the phone could be used by anyone anywhere at anytime. For sure, it's an AE Type D. All else is speculation or invention (but fun for word play).

Jim Stettler

For years, collectors have called this an "Admirals phone".
It doesn't mean it is a phone for an Admiral.
It is just the term for this style of telephone.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Here's an image of the phone with the housing removed, thanks to paul-f. Several other images of different views at that link.

Partyline4

This phone was shown on the History Channel's " Pawn Stars " show once. I think they got it for $500?

Still a very interesting telephone.

unbeldi

It would be nice if someone had a complete one, we only ever see one half of the unit, the speaker housing/and handset mounting.