Started by Doug Rose, May 31, 2010, 09:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Doug;
You got a real good price for it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

As you have learned, file that under "smart".  Hope you made some money on it.  Think the electronics on that one was tough to repair, compare with my "decor piece":

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Radio/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill Cahill

WOW!
I see congradulations are indeed in order..
More than 100 percent profit!!!
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Doug Rose

This went for much more than I could have hoped for considering I thought I royally screwed up,,,,Doug
Kidphone

Bill Cahill

Seems that lately they are going insane on the bay...
I wonder... With our present economy, are we headed for a major antiques catastrophy?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bill;
If you mean the prices going sky high, we should be so unlucky. Of course let's hope we have all of the antiques we want.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

That was an amazing price.  Does anyone know if that particular model is considered especially collectible? 

Larry

Dennis Markham

I talked to BDM about this radio.  He told me that they were relatively easy to refurbish and a real nice radio.  He had offered to help me get it into shape if I won the auction.  I came in second.  I had to be away from the computer when the auction ended so I put in a bid early this afternoon.  It wasn't enough.  I'm looking at a couple others that are the same model and not nearly in the same condition.  I won't bid on those.  Doug's looks like a great radio.  Both of the others are missing the carrying strap.

LarryInMichigan

I am afraid that I may have infected Dennis with a radio collecting bug.  Antique radios appear quite regularly on craigslist here.  I just recently bought two Admiral 7T10E-N radios, one in great working condition (the other missing some parts), for $35 from a seller about seven miles from me.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Nice looking radio, Larry.  I could easily get hooked on them.  If only I knew how to fix them---electrically speaking.  I'll have to open up a new section of brain matter to learn that stuff.

JorgeAmely

Larry:

That is one elegant radio. I can see by the numbers that it is an AM radio. What is the housing made of?
Jorge

McHeath

On a Doctor Who episode we watched last night he licked the housing of an early 50's gizmo, proclaimed an iron taste, and then declared it Bakelite. 

Not sure exactly how that works, but maybe you can try it. ;) ;)

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

The picture I posted is not actually of my radio, but mine is about 99.9% identical.  I believe that the case is brown bakelite.  The model is from 1947.

Old radios are not nearly as easy to fix as phones, nor nearly as safe.  An old radio with problems could easily burst into flames when turned on because of the high voltages present.  I have never heard of a phone bursting into flames.

Larry

Bill Cahill

While the voltages are higher, and, more dangerous, if proper precautions are taken, you should be safe..
The Admiral is in bakelite. I like that style, and, dial.
Your Philco was in exceptional condition, but, these radios are common, and, were big sellers when new. Shouldn't be terribly hard to find one in decent restorable condition.
However, I'd start with a regular ac-dc set first.
There are more voltages to worry about on these combination battery sets.
Dan, and, I are more than willing to teach on proper repairs. Also, in my radio forums we have a tutorial section for beginners, and, there is a book I critiqued for a member that I can reccommend for you to read.
If it's alrignt, Dennis, I'll post the links.
Please feel free to join my forums, and, post often.
There are also other interesting things to read about there.
Here's the link to my site to join.
http://tuberadio.heavenforum.com/index.htm?sid=43e6cdb28085480f98c8c9de9e96fd7d

Bill Cahill