News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lead Ingot.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 12, 2010, 03:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I could not help myself I had to have this LEAD ingot.
Does anyone have any idea what it's from ?
The reason I bought it was, first I can use it if it is indeed lead.
Second, I worked for GM for many years around lead, and I've never seen lead look like that, To be honest with you it resembles Sliver more than lead.
If it's lead, I can use it to cast bullets, If it's silver, Well I'll have to wait and see.
A.I.A.A. located in Philadelphia is, "The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics".  I can't think of any reason for them to cast lead ingots ???
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Hmm, never seen a lead ingot in that shape or with that logo.  I have a few 5 pound ingots of lead, leftover from my dad's days as a pipefitter.  They used the lead to join iron pipe, used to have his cooking pot as well but not sure where it's at or even if I still have it.  The ingots I'm familiar with are simple octogonal cake shapes, about 3 inches high and 4 around, give or take.  They came in stringers of 5 or 6, all attached between each cake.  I did just a little lead work in my early days of working for his company, in the early 80's, but it was phased out not long after in favor of plastic pipe. 

Not sure I'd melt that ingot down D/P, that logo is pretty cool and it's dated as well. 

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
Regardless of what it's made of it will remain intact.
Most likely a door stop or paper weight, or just put it on a shelf for display.
The color makes me think it may be solder, rather than lead, a very high tin content for the silver color.

D/P

Greg G.

Is that that one on ebay that the seller said had an image of  a "telephone"?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

Have you figured the density of it? That would give you some clue as to the metal. Lead is fairly dense, although silver is close.

With that said, I really don't think it's silver for two reasons. The first is, if it were silver, I would expect it to be hallmarked with regard to the purity-either as a decimal like .999 or .925, or with the words "fine", "sterling", or "coin." The second is that it really just doesn't look like silver. Handled and not polished silver tends toward gray or black(from tarnish)-otherwise it tends to be fairly lustrous.

If it's not lead, my next best guess would be that it's tin. It looks right. Since you have it in your hand, you're definitely in a better position to determine, though. Lead is a good bit more dense than tin.

Dan/Panther

Briny;
Yes it the same person.

Ben;
I agree it think it is most likely tin or solder. For all the same reason you mentioned, I overlooked the tarnish factor,  if cleaned it would be very bright.
I'm leaning towards solder.
D/P