News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Imperial

Started by Fabius, August 05, 2014, 09:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Picked this up for $80 at the recent ATCA show. Has the correct 5J dial dated 1950. No apparent ware. Notice that the cradle arm finish are like new as is all the finish. Cord has no wear but is slightly dingy from storage. I'd like suggestions for cleaning that cord.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I have used denture cleaner, the type you dissolve in water, to clean age-stained white fabrics before.  It is pretty mild.  DISCLAIMER: I have never tried it on a telephone cord.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Click the search tab, type in the word "woolite" (without the quotes) and hit the search button. I got more than a handful of hits of topics of posts from members telling how they used Woolite to clean cloth covered wires and cloth cords on color 302s.

I'be used woolite on single cloth covered wires and they came out looking like new. I have never tried it on a bundle such as a line or handset cord.

unbeldi

I have used Woolite on ivory silk handset cords and the result can be good, depending on the degree of dirt.
I sprayed the cord with Woolite directly out of the bottle, and after a few minutes soaked the whole cord in a shallow bowl filled with warm water. I think I also used a toothbrush gently on some really dirty spots, but I've tried to avoid too much mechanical stress while wet.  Results really depend on the condition of the cord.

Here is one cord for which I tried it and this one was in terrible condition.

Once wet, it would be good advice, I think, to let it dry while wound around a dowel so it retains its shape later. This may very well improve the coil. Yours look pretty good still, but I would still do that to be sure it stays that way.

Fabius

Okay, Woolite it is. I was planning to go to WalMart today anyway and I'll pick some up. I'll report back.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Once wet, it would be good advice, I think, to let it dry while wound around a dowel so it retains its shape later.

At the show someone was selling cloth handset cords that were on dowels. They sold really fast. I wish I would of get a few.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on August 06, 2014, 11:42:33 AM
Once wet, it would be good advice, I think, to let it dry while wound around a dowel so it retains its shape later.

At the show someone was selling cloth handset cords that were on dowels. They sold really fast. I wish I would of get a few.

I think you can find round wood at home improvement stores in varying diameters. Choose the right diameter for a good fit.  I have also used a very long and heavy duty Philips screwdriver that was just perfect for one of these. The screwdriver is something like 10" long; it's a Craftsman brand. This made it easy to remove the cord.

Let the cord dry completely for several days on the dowel. There could be moisture trapped under the cloth that can take a while to evaporate. Don't apply artificial heat, the old rubber insulation around the tinsel melts easily.

Fabius

Thanks. Now for a trip to Lowes.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905