"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany Model 500 Refurbishment

Started by Dennis Markham, June 10, 2009, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Have you tried other mediums for polishing,  are you convinced Novus2 is tops ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

No. I have not tried other polishes.  So I am open to other suggestions.  I like the improvements I get using it.  I have used #3 (grittier and more abrasive that #2) and it works well but I'm not convinced it's any better than #2.  I like the fact that Novus #2 is a swirl/scratch remover and leaves a nice gloss shine.

Dan/Panther

Brasso works great but It takes alot of elbow grease.

Dennis;
Check this link...

http://tinyurl.com/l77yjr
D/P

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 15, 2009, 02:38:45 AM
Brasso works great but It takes alot of elbow grease.

D/P

Regarding the "elbow grease" technique.  Are you applying the buffing compound, be it Brasso or Novus or what have you, to a clean cloth then rubbing vigorously (aka "elbow grease"), or are you using a tool like a buffer?

Somebody mentioned trying car polish.  Since that is readily available w/o having to have it shipped, I may try it on a phone I'm not to concerned about screwing up.  Come to think of it, I got a fancy-schmancy package of some high-falutin auto cleaner and polishing stuff with my new truck.  I think I'll go dig it out and try it on the phones. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

When I apply polish I squirt a bit on the surface of the plastic.  I may use a finger to smooth out the polish and then using a cotton (not acrylic) athletic sock rub the polish into the plastic as if the pores are absorbing the polish.  I rub it in until the polish appears to be gone.  During the rubbing (elbow grease) I can feel the part warming from the friction.  Then without buffing the polish I put on more polish and spread it around and then get out the Ryobi.  Once I have worked in all the polish I'll buff with an old soft cotton T-shirt (a new one works good too).  Don't use anything with silk screened words or images---they'll scratch the plastic.  I buff off the phone and inspect.  If it's not how I like it I do it again.  When it's done to my satisfaction I'll put on Novus #1 (spray mist--fine polish) or the Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant with Sun Stop.

That is my method.  Procedures and results may vary.  I also think soft plastic and hard plastic give different results.  I think hard plastic shines up quicker than soft.

bwanna

dennis, what is the rpm on the ryobi tool? i ordered a wen rotary tool thru a prize program at work. i think it is more like a dremel tool. won't get it for 3 or 4 weeks. just wondering if this will do the trick or if i should go ahead & buy the ryobi. guess 22$ won't break the bank. ;) my first time posting here, but have been avidly reading for a couple of weeks.  thanks to all for much good advice. finally got the courage to actually start working on some of the fones i have piled up. don't think i will ever reach your level of craftsmanship, tho.  :o
donna

Dennis Markham

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post.  There's not much to getting successful results other than spending some time experimenting.  I just checked the Ryobi listing on Home Depot's web site and it says the rpm is 4000.  I don't know the speed of the bench grinder/buffer but the narrow pad spinning as fast as it does can burn the plastic as I've mentioned.  I ruined a dial bezel once trying to use a little buffing tool on a Dremmel.  It burned it immediately---actually gouging it.  But with the Ryobi the surface of the pad is flat and does a nice job of rubbing in the polish.  I don't think one can burn the plastic with this.  I've never even come close.  I have no knowledge on the Wen rotary tool.  Again, there are many different products out there and you may discover something that works great.  I have only tried a couple of buffers.  I like the Ryobi because it's relatively cheap too.  Eventually with enough use the foam pad that the terry cloth covers fit over will break down.  It's cheaper to just replace the whole unit.  It was $19.99 for a long time so they just raised their price.  Maybe it's cheaper in-store.  Good luck!

McHeath

Welcome to the forum bwanna.  As for car polish on phones, I've used TR-3 resin glaze with good success on my phones.  It's pretty abrasive, and if you use it on a car you can take the paint off if you are too energetic, it's a rubbing compound not a wax.  After using it on phone plastics I then apply a wax over the top, and I normally use old fashioned Turtle Wax. 

I've even used the TR-3 after sanding a phone and it shines up nice and pretty.

Dennis Markham

I've finished the phone.  In fact I spent the entire day today finishing it.  There may be some details that I've discovered during reassembly that need to be addressed but for the most part it's finished.  I'll post a couple photos here now but plan to make a complete album.  I'll then post the link here.  I took a ton of photos to show step-by-step reassembly of the #7 dial for those that may be interested.  Here are a couple before and after shots.  Notice that I put on a straight handset cord.  Recently Steve Hilsz offered a couple of these up for sale to the ATCA/TCI members.  This is an original 1955 cord that was never used.  It is soft and pliable.  The spade tips show no sign of ever having been screwed down.  Today my voice traveled over the wires for the first time since it was made 54 years ago.  

McHeath

WOW!!!   Amazingly nice job!  And I love the straight cord and the fact that it is new is very cool. 

bwanna

just beautiful dennis!  thank you for the welcome mcheath.
donna

Dan

Beautiful Dennis, your skills are amazing. I noticed the color looks deeper and richer. Do you believe the polishing removed a "yellowed" layer and the dark brown underneath came out?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the compliments.  Dan, I did notice on the clear plungers that there was some yellowing.  Although I didn't smell tobacco odors, I got the impression it had been in a smoky environment.  When I hit those plungers with Novus the yellow color came right off.  Perhaps the entire phone was covered with the same thing and I just didn't notice it.  The plastic spent a great deal of time in warm water while I was sanding and I did use a ton of polish.   It did bring out the nice color.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
I'm just curious, you've done an exceptional job in removing that scratch. I just wonder, if you ever decided to sell the phone, being that it is rather rare, would you feel ob;ligated to mention the scratch as being removed, or is that type repair completely acceptable. I hope this doesn't sound wrong, and if you want you can even PM the answer.

D/P