News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green/Gold 202 with 685A Subset, Special or Frankenphone?

Started by TelePlay, April 15, 2012, 02:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 15, 2012, 07:34:29 PM
Goo Gone should remove the tape residue. Soak the area let set, rub off, you may have to repeat this several times.
D/P

Okay, it's working. I folded toilet paper so I had 6 layers in a size covering the hard glue residue. Taped it to the case with blue painters tape. Soaked the paper with Goo Gone. Covered the soaked paper with duct tape. Taped the edge of the duct tape to the painters tape with masking tape to seal the Goo Gone under the duct tape. Let it sit for 5 days. Most of it came off on the first try but I have to repeat the process once more on one side. The residue was quite thick in some places, almost like a rubber band that adheres to a surface.

Thanks, Dan,  for the suggestion of soaking. Just had to figure out how to do that best. When I removed the cover tonight, the paper and surface were still wet with Goo Gone and the Goo Gone didn't affect the painters tape or masking tape. Goo Gone does soften the duct tape glue but not the fabric which holds in the Goo Gone.

unbeldi

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 15, 2012, 01:19:10 PM
The P number is confusing, I admit.  I will open my Imperial and see what it has for dates and if it has that cast-in P number.  It has always been my understanding that the bodies of the Imperials and Continentals were refurbished 202's and not newly cast bodies, but I may be wrong.

The P-number is the WECo part number, c.f. Catalog No. 9 (1935), P.108.  The part number of that year's version of the base was P-224577. This one was obviously made earlier.

unbeldi

This set was originally a D2/103-type sidetone telephone, then it was refurbished as an anti-sidetone 203-type telephone (D6) and finally it became a 202/D1.  Interesting history documented right on the phone.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on July 12, 2014, 10:52:37 PM
This set was originally a D2/103-type sidetone telephone, then it was refurbished as an anti-sidetone 203-type telephone (D6) and finally it became a 202/D1.  Interesting history documented right on the phone.

Thanks for that information. I really liked that D1 because it had a metallic gold near perfect paint job on it. I cleaned it up and left it as received. It's also interesting that the brass grommet was not painted but left as brass.

The phone was my forum icon for a few years before going to the abstract fluorescent pink 500.

Also surprised you found this topic from so long ago.

unbeldi

I have a D6 mounting on my Wanted-list, along with the 6-conductor mounting cord (D6H) that this requires.  This is to be paired with my 1937 684-BC subset which has been patiently waiting for its better part.

The D6/203 type telephone was used for anti-sidetone tip-party stations for message rate service on a two-party subscriber line.  The D2/103 was for the same service type, only before anti-sidetone compensation was available.

It is quite likely that your telephone was a very early production model, perhaps first year, 1930-31, as by or after the end of 1931 all D-types were probably AST sets. I think one just doesn't find D2 mountings that often.

PS:  The paint on this seems quite original, this may have been a D2A/B-11 (medium gold), -12 (dark gold). Not sure whether -14 (brush brass) was around then. -6 was old brass, and I also don't know if that was used on D-mountings.