"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First 302 repair - Lots of questions

Started by winkydink, November 13, 2008, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

Oh by the way.. Rookie mistake.

I got bottles mixed up initially and used some Brasso on the base instead of Novus 2 and wiped part of the red date "2-47 A" from the base.  Next time, I clean everywhere EXCEPT where the date is stamped.

I might just take a red sharpie and write 2-47 A on the base close by for reference.  It's not like this phone is going into the Telephone Hall of Fame.

Oh Well...

Dennis Markham

Yes, you want to avoid doing that.  You have a picture of the date. :)

bingster

You have to be extremely careful with new Brasso.  Old Brasso polished and hardened paint, while new Brasso will often do just the opposite.
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on January 14, 2009, 05:05:44 PM
You have to be extremely careful with new Brasso.  Old Brasso polished and hardened paint, while new Brasso will often do just the opposite.

Bingster,

What would you recommend besides Brasso ?  Simichrome ?  Anything available  at big box stores, or will I need to get it over the internet.

As my time machine recently broke, I don't have access to the old Brasso formula. :)

Thanks.

winkydink

This was my first try and doing wet sanding on a plastic phone and all I can say is

IT'S LIKE MAGIC !

I started off with 800 grit.  That took away the deep scratches underneath the dial area.  I then went to 1000 grit (with motion in the opposite direction).  Then to 1200 and finally 1500.

Then another buffing with Novus 2 and all I can say is wow.  It's like there was never a scratch there ever.

Below is the results of my work.  ( new pictures posted 1/15/09)

Thanks again to all for your advice.

bingster

Looks great, winkydink!  I may have to try this wet-sanding myself.

Quote from: winkydink on January 14, 2009, 09:15:39 PMBingster, What would you recommend besides Brasso ?  Simichrome ?  Anything available  at big box stores, or will I need to get it over the internet.
A couple months ago, I lucked out and found a full can of old Brasso in the trunk of my car.  Since I've got some left, I haven't tried anything else yet.  I suppose when it's gone I'll try Simichrome, but I have no idea how it acts on paint.  If you don't have any old Brasso, or don't know anybody who has some and who might give it up, you probably won't find any.  Brasso apparently ordered it pulled from store shelves across the country.  I believe the formula remains unchanged in Canada, though, so it might be obtainable from there.  I don't recommend new Brasso for anything, including polishing brass.  It's a nightmare.  Thanks, California!
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on January 14, 2009, 09:20:32 PM

IT'S LIKE MAGIC !

Here are before and after for comparison.  I'm still amazed how well this worked.

... Next step, cleaning some inners and then reassembly.

HobieSport

Very nice work and inspiring.  Thanks for the report, WD.

winkydink

New question:

At am near the end of my cleaning of the inside parts of the phone and I am almost ready to begin to reassemble.  The only thing I have not touched is the switch hook/contacts. 

What can I use to clean these or should I just leave this part alone ?

McHeath

The outside of that shell looks fabulous.  You've done a great job, and I will have to give the wet sanding trick a try sometime.

Bingster said:
QuoteBrasso apparently ordered it pulled from store shelves across the country.  I believe the formula remains unchanged in Canada, though, so it might be obtainable from there.  I don't recommend new Brasso for anything, including polishing brass.  It's a nightmare.  Thanks, California

You're welcome.  Glad we could be of service.  By the way, can you spare about 42 billion bucks?  Send a check to Sacramento.

winkydink

I think I have made another rookie mistake which I hope will not be fatal.

I begin to clean the switch hook mechanism, when the spring popped off.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to put it back on.  If anyone can give me a description or picture I would truely appeciate it.

Thanks.

Dennis Markham

I'm not sure which spring you are referring to.  Do you mean the two aluminum pieces with the hinge piece running thru it???  Photo??

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 18, 2009, 05:34:11 PM
I'm not sure which spring you are referring to.  Do you mean the two aluminum pieces with the hinge piece running thru it???  Photo??

Yeah its a long bent wire about the thickness of a paper clip wire.  I will try to send a photo sometimes after 6pm as I am in the middle of making dinner.

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 18, 2009, 05:34:11 PM

Here is a photo

Dennis Markham

You know, I have never seen a spring like that.  I'd have to look at some of my 302's and see if I can find one with a spring like that.  I'm sure it just clips in some way to allow for the pressure against the plungers.