News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this...should I drive 2 (each way) hours to pick it up?

Started by Nick in Manitou, May 28, 2013, 01:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

I am not very familiar with wooden phones, I have more phones on my bench that need restoring than I should, I don't need to spend anymore money on phones, AND I move across the country in a couple weeks...that said, I came across a phone that is for sale that I am curious about...

The ad says that they are looking for $200 and are negotiable.  I know that some of these phones sell at around this price, and that some of them bring more.  As this is a 2 box, it has my curiosity up.

With all the expense of moving, I hesitate to spend any money on another phone, but if this is one I should pick up and resell, it might help me defend what I have spent on the phones I have.

(With the investment of time that would be required to go get this phone, I guess the upside would have to be pretty good to make it worth while.)

Thanks as usual for your frank feedback.

Nick

Phonesrfun

I am no expert on wood phones, but I see that the receiver may be a later model replacement that Western Electric made for replacing the older receivers with one that takes the later HA1 receiver element.  The cord on the receiver looks like a fabric covered power cord, and not an original receiver cord.  Both those items are cosmetic and if the basic two-box is authentinc, would not kill the deal.

The transmitter arm looks to be Kellogg.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 28, 2013, 01:33:05 PM
I am not very familiar with wooden phones,

Irrelevant, somebody will help with that.

I have more phones on my bench that need restoring than I should,

Irrelevant, get a bigger bench.

I don't need to spend anymore money on phones,

Nonsense.

AND I move across the country in a couple weeks...

Don't fly, drive, and get more phones along the way.

that said, I came across a phone that is for sale that I am curious about...

With all the expense of moving, I hesitate to spend any money on another phone,

Evil, evil I say!  Therapy is buy more phones!  Budget 3 hours and check out yard sales along the way for even more phones.

but if this is one I should pick up and resell, it might help me defend what I have spent on the phones I have.

(With the investment of time that would be required to go get this phone, I guess the upside would have to be pretty good to make it worth while.)

Any friends or relatives along the way?  I used to justify a trip to Portland from Seattle for a phone by visiting Mom in Vancouver.  That way I could justify it by saying it was a visit to Mom with a side trip for a phone.

Thanks as usual for your frank feedback.

Nick

You're Welcome!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

On the serious side, and I'm not versed on wooden phones either, but other than what Bill pointed out, the insides look very clean and intact, the wood all appears to be in good shape, the mouthpiece appears to be intact.  Hopefully some of the wooden wall phone experts will chime in. I'm curious too.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for the responses so far!  Briny, your first response made me laugh!

I have been poking around on the forum (instead of packing the garage as I should be) and noticed what appears to be a significant similarity in the lower box of this phone and the one in the thread at:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9504.0

I am not saying at all that this might be as rare as that one, but the similarity between the design of the lower boxes is striking to me as a wooden phone novice.

Any other input?  Should I hit the road - or get to work doing what I should be doing?

Jim Stettler

The lower box is for a glass battery, The phone is probably worth $200, and it comes with a spare cord for a vintage iron.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Nick in Manitou

Jim,

I was just thinking about calling you.  I got back to my packing for the move and was thinking that it would be best to let someone else in the area know about this phone and not get involved with it myself.

I guess from your response that you have already looked into it yourself.

So if they are asking $200 negotiable and the phone is worth about $200, then someone from the north Denver area could pick it up if they need one of these for their collection...but it is not a matter of it being the deal of the month?

Nick

poplar1

Perhaps it is just missing the original receiver and transmitter arm? Looks like a Leich receiver with the wrong cap; there are a lot of repro Kellogg and WE transmitter arms; this one may be a repro.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

JMO: as it appears It isn't a bad deal, it isn't a great deal.

It is a lot harder to find than a plain top, plain front wood phone which retails for $200-300.

I think it would be nice for a collector, and a great deal for someone who just wants a wood phone  decorator piece.

I would look closely to make sure parts appear to be old and correct.
Jim

I don't really buy wood or wall phones much anymore, I don't have the wall space
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Nick in Manitou

Thanks, all, for your input.

I have decided that I am not going to pursue this phone.

If there is anyone in the region that might be interested, this phone is on Craig's List in the Denver area.
http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/3776602634.html ( dead link 03-07-21 )

There is another one that got my attention...the parts that can be seen are probably worth the asking price of $35! http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/3831622179.html ( dead link 03-07-21 )

Now, I promise that I am going to stop searching Craig's List until we have moved and the dust has settled!

We are off to Columbus, Ohio in a few weeks...(but we are renting out our house in Colorado so that we can come back).

Nick

Phonesrfun

Depending on the insides, $35.00 is a great price for a WE 317, even if it is missing the receiver.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

$35!    ???   I'd be on the ride home with this beauty by now. Get your motor runnin!...Doug
Kidphone

Nick in Manitou

Well Shucks...I was convincing myself that I was not going to even look at any more phones until after the move...now you guys have me thinking maybe I should get into the car and spend the next few hours and a bunch of gas...to go after this WE 317...is there a 12 step program for this?

(I just sent the seller an e-mail to find out what the inside of the phone contains.)

Nick in Manitou

Well, it is settled...someone else bought the WE 317...

I contacted the seller by e-mail and he said that he had never opened the phone up, but that it was heavy and that when you crank it, "it dings".

I e-mailed him that I was ready to head his way if he didn't mind my arriving a little late.

I waited and  watched for an e-mail or phone response...keys in hand...and just about an hour later I get an e-mail saying that a guy that was supposed to be there at 2:30 this afternoon had just bought it at 9:pm!

Oh well, I guess I should be sharper next time.

If it was purchased by someone here on the forum, that would be great!  Please let me know!

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Nick

Phonesrfun

I have not found a 12-step program for this particular addiction, sorry.
-Bill G