News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 2nd Payphone.

Started by Greg G., June 06, 2014, 04:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

These aren't usually my bag, but I figured for $20 I couldn't go wrong.  Unlocked, appears to be in good shape, all the parts appear to be there.  It looks like it's been rigged to function, but the line cord wasn't hooked up.  The seller only used it for decor, he didn't have a landline.  The seller said the Ohio Bell card was something he got on ebay.  Not sure about the other card, I didn't ask, but I'm sure the NYT is original.

I can't get the coin box to go back in with the lid on.  It was in the phone and I just pulled it out when I opened the vault, but when I try to get it back in, the tag on the left side of the lid gets hung up in a slot in the upper right corner of the vault.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

maarm

I may be wrong, but I believe you need to "unlock" the lid before sliding the coin box back into the vault. I think you can use a screw driver and turn the slot in the lid. This unlocks it and allows the cover to slide back when inserted in the vault, exposing the opening for coins to fall into.
Mike

Greg G.

Quote from: maarm on June 06, 2014, 07:45:42 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe you need to "unlock" the lid before sliding the coin box back into the vault. I think you can use a screw driver and turn the slot in the lid. This unlocks it and allows the cover to slide back when inserted in the vault, exposing the opening for coins to fall into.

You're not wrong, that worked.  Now I need to know how to hook up that line cord so I can plug it in and check it out.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Here's the adapter that was on one end of the modular cord.  The cord was just stuffed inside, not hooked up. 
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 07, 2014, 12:51:15 AM
Here's the adapter that was on one end of the modular cord.  The cord was just stuffed inside, not hooked up.
Hi Greg:

This is one of the easiest ways to connect the phone. Of course you can create a half modular line for it instead of using the connector... Simply connect the red and green to tip and ring on the top terminals of the terminal board inside, replace the cover and its plugs, and use the phone as a home phone. It won't demand coins without a controller but will work as a home phone. You might find you will need to reverse the tip and ring leads to get it to work properly.

Ignore the black and yellow lines. They do not have to be connected at all unless you use a controller or are using it on a coin line.

Just don't tell the wife and kids they can call for free without coins, and you can collect whatever money they drop in! :) Finance your hobby. Better yet, put it on your bus!

Funny thing is I have a booth set up in front of the museum, and despite the fact I have a sign in the instruction card slow saying it is not in service, each spring when I check it, I find change in the phone!

Sounds like you are all set.

The lid lock was there to prevent tampering by the schluck who exchanged coin boxes. Trust No One! The box out of the phone would be returned to the telephone company sealed and with its lid, where the box was opened and the money collected - they would then reset the lid, put it back on the box, then place a seal on the box. That is why the collectors carried a case full of boxes with lids - they simply exchanged them and brought the full ones back to the office.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 07, 2014, 05:06:57 AM

Hi Dan:

This is one of the easiest ways to connect the phone. Of course you can create a half modular line for it instead of using the connector... Simply connect the red and green to tip and ring on the top terminals of the terminal board inside, replace the cover and its plugs, and use the phone as a home phone. It won't demand coins without a controller but will work as a home phone. You might find you will need to reverse the tip and ring leads to get it to work properly.

Ignore the black and yellow lines. They do not have to be connected at all unless you use a controller or are using it on a coin line.

Just don't tell the wife and kids they can call for free without coins, and you can collect whatever money they drop in! :) Finance your hobby. Better yet, put it on your bus!

Funny thing is I have a booth set up in front of the museum, and despite the fact I have a sign in the instruction card slow saying it is not in service, each spring when I check it, I find change in the phone!

Sounds like you are all set.

The lid lock was there to prevent tampering by the schluck who exchanged coin boxes. Trust No One! The box out of the phone would be returned to the telephone company sealed and with its lid, where the box was opened and the money collected - they would then reset the lid, put it back on the box, then place a seal on the box. That is why the collectors carried a case full of boxes with lids - they simply exchanged them and brought the full ones back to the office.

Dave

Thanks!  No kids, but do have a spouse, and who's Dan?  Do you know something I don't?  Is she hiding someone?   ;)

You'll need to point out which terminals are the tip and ring, I'm not real adept at electronics.  Since everything seems to be there, it would also be fun to get it to function with coins if that's possible.

Greg
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Sorry, Greg! Just follow the wire colours in the photo I attached to the message. Ignore the yellow and black, as your connector only has the red and green run out - at any rate, in the photo black and yellow are just terminated together on the  screw below (not a good idea in either a pay or normal phone, as Poplar1 pointed out,, as it will cause problems when the phone is used with a KSU such as the Panasonics or on a line with a power pair. I only terminate only the red and green, and insulate the yellow and black. - this wasn't my photo - it was one borrowed from another message to show where the wires go).

So red, top; green the next terminal down. However, this is somewhat arbitrary depending ou your house wiring. That is why the mention you may have to swap them.

To get it to work with coins would require a payphone controller designed for a single slot phone ($200-300). You can insert them as it is if you wish, but you can make a call without them. In other words as it is it won't enforce the use of coins.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 07, 2014, 12:26:28 PM

So red, top; green the next terminal down. However, this is somewhat arbitrary depending ou your house wiring. That is why the mention you may have to swap them.

Got it, thanks!  I figured it out when I took a closer look at the phone, I saw the terminal with posts marked "T" and "R" and hooked it up.  Fully functions, yippee!

Quote from: DavePEI on June 07, 2014, 12:26:28 PM
To get it to work with coins would require a payphone controller designed for a single slot phone ($200-300). You can insert them as it is if you wish, but you can make a call without them. In other words as it is it won't enforce the use of coins.

Dave

Understood, but isn't this thing the controller it would need?
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 08, 2014, 02:05:18 AM
Looks as though your arrow is aiming at the coin relay, and certainly that is one of the parts operated by the controller. But, a controller is an external piece of equipment which operates the pay functions of the phone - it is not built into it.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 08, 2014, 05:59:42 AM
Looks as though your arrow is aiming at the coin relay, and certainly that is one of the parts operated by the controller. But, a controller is an external piece of equipment which operates the pay functions of the phone - it is not built into it.

Dave

Where and how were these attached to a public payphone?  I'm old enough to remember when payphones were common place in pre-cell phone, rotary dial Ma Bell days.  I don't recall seeing any other gizmo other than the phone itself in phone booths.  A pic would help.
- Mike Row
e

mentalstampede

Quote from: Brinybay on June 09, 2014, 02:32:32 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on June 08, 2014, 05:59:42 AM

Dave

Where and how were these attached to a public payphone?  I'm old enough to remember when payphones were common place in pre-cell phone, rotary dial Ma Bell days.  I don't recall seeing any other gizmo other than the phone itself in phone booths.  A pic would help.

The controller circuitry would have been added to the line where it originated at the Telco central office. No extra device would be present at the actual telephone.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 09, 2014, 02:32:32 PM
The difference being when being publicly used as a payphone, the phone line which it was connected to was a coin line - in that case, the controller was at the C.O. On a normal line, there is no controller, and you have to provide it is you wish to use the phone to make it collect money. You also have to have a means to determine toll rates for out of area calls. Its a bit more complex than that, but if you wish to force a payphone to collect coins, you do need a controller, in this case a controller designed for a single slot phone.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 09, 2014, 03:39:47 PM

The difference being when being publicly used as a payphone, the phone line which it was connected to was a coin line - in that case, the controller was at the C.O. On a normal line, there is no controller, and you have to provide it is you wish to use the phone to make it collect money. You also have to have a means to determine toll rates for out of area calls. Its a bit more complex than that, but if you wish to force a payphone to collect coins, you do need a controller, in this case a controller designed for a single slot phone.

Dave

The most I would want to do is rig it for home use in such a fashion where you would just need to plug a quarter, nickle or dime in to get a dial tone, then do whatever you want.  Would this thing do that?  At $200, it's not really worth it for me at this point in time, but that's beside the point.  Maybe down the line (no pun).  Inquiring minds want to know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301209754927
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 09, 2014, 04:50:36 PM
The most I would want to do is rig it for home use in such a fashion where you would just need to plug a quarter, nickle or dime in to get a dial tone, then do whatever you want.  Would this thing do that?  At $200, it's not really worth it for me at this point in time, but that's beside the point.  Maybe down the line (no pun).  Inquiring minds want to know.

That one is designed for a 3 slot phone and not for a single slot as per "Stan Schreier" <seekelect@verizon.net>. Contact him to see if he thinks it would work. At the very least, it would disable the totallizer and some other functions of the phone and wouldn't be able to tell what denomination of coin had been inserted. It would likely enforce that ~~a~~ coin had been inserted.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 09, 2014, 07:13:33 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on June 09, 2014, 04:50:36 PM

That one is designed for a 3 slot phone and not for a single slot as per "Stan Schreier" <seekelect@verizon.net>. Contact him to see if he thinks it would work. At the very least, it would disable the totallizer and some other functions of the phone and wouldn't be able to tell what denomination of coin had been inserted. It would likely enforce that ~~a~~ coin had been inserted.

Dave

I read further down in the verbiage (there's lots of it).  Although the seller says it can technically function with a single slot, it would require some rewiring of the phone, and if it's a COCOT (is mine?), things can get complicated, not something I want to get into.  I'll just enjoy it as it is for now, although I may want to "accessorize" it with cards, a sign, maybe a small booth.  The guy I bought it from said the Ohio Bell card was something he got from ebay.  It's not correct for the phone, Ohio Bell wasn't part of NYNEX.  I'm not sure about the upper card, the fonts look a little blurry.
- Mike Row
e