News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

212g. First Three Slot payphone in my collection. Now some questions

Started by trainman, February 19, 2016, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Other than the capacitor, resistor, rf filter, and probably a broken pand missing shaft for the barrel lock, its good. even has an original dial card in it. I need to post pics of my phone next.

RotarDad

Please post pics - it sounds like a nice one.  My 236G has the barrel lock too, and my lock bolt is missing as well.  Those are super hard to find imho, and I don't have the key anyway.
Paul

Stan S

I'm still trying to figure out the hopper switch and how the coin trap stays in the up position. BSP says its counterweighted, but once a coin pushes it down, it stays down. I also think the switch leaves and insulators aren't in the right order.
Tony
Compare yours to the attached closeups of the hopper switch assembly.
Stan

trainman

Aha. I'm missing what looks like a curved nylon linkage.

Thanks again Stan.

RotarDad

Nice photos Stan!   It sure looks like that part could get broken easily.  I'm guessing a replacement could be fabricated, but that is a tiny part... and with holes for the pins too.  Was is made of nylon to prevent shorting that attached contact?  If Stan had one of these parts uninstalled and a 3D printer, you'd be all set, Tony....
Paul

trainman

trainman

Paul, only problem with taking it apart to replicate that part is the pins have that mashed, crimp on the end. I wish I had the tool that does that. I could fix all kinds of things around here. just cut the oun, and find some brass or steel pins, recrimp the ends, voila.

RotarDad

Nice phone, Tony!  It does looks very original. The handset cord is likely late '60s from a 500, but the rest looks great.  The upper lock does have that ink-stamp part number, so it was from a CS "decorator" phone.  Your phone looks to have spent it's life indoors away from moisture, too.  A 212G can't be easy to find compared with the huge number of pre-pay machines made.
Paul

trainman

The early 60's BSPs on mulitslots I was looking at did show them with non armored handset cords. I think the armored cords only showed up when the G3 handsets came into existence.

RotarDad

Tony - Do you have all your pins in place?  You could carefully grind off the mushroomed end with a dremel tool to remove them.  Then a dremel could be used to shape a new part.  The part is probably large enough to hold at one end while very carefully drilling the holes.....  OK I'm making this up as I go.....  You'd want some material that is strong yet flexible so it won't easily crack...  On reinstall, the pins may stay put or you could put a small drop of glue or silicone on the end to retain them.  This won't be a high use mechanism.
Paul

trainman

Pins still in place. Well now that I know whats missing I could try to experiment and make something that could work.

trainman

handset cord is dated 1961. Bulk of phone is dated 1962. Perhaps its still original.

Stan S

Or
Just, buy another postpay hopper, or two.
Probably more if I keep looking.
Stan S.

RotarDad

Tony - You are right I believe about your phone not having an armored cord in '62.  I thought the cord was newer than the phone.....   I stand corrected, and it may be all original.  I like the date stamp on the top edge of the lower vault section, too.
Paul

trainman