News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1234G. Western's Only 3 Slot Touchtone Payphone.

Started by trainman, May 14, 2016, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Western Electric only made one 3 slot touchtone payphone. Its the 10 button 1234G. I now have a black one in my collection. It needs a little wiring repair if I want it to function. Not bad, cosmetically. I give it an 8 out of 10. I bought a Touchtone Tuning Fork from Stan S. the function of this tool is to tune the touchtone pad.

Pics to follow

trainman

The business end of the 1234g. The oscilator is out of the housing, and the wiring harness to the connector on the lower housing needs repair. There was a nick in the outer jacket of the harness severing two wires, and all but one wire was pulled out of the connector plug. What fun to fix.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

There was also an Autovon 3 slot.
http://jklmuseum.com/  look under Autovon payphone.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Jim S. on May 15, 2016, 06:24:45 PM
There was also an Autovon 3 slot.
http://jklmuseum.com/  look under Autovon payphone.

Jim S.

I seem to recall that the "Autovon payphone" was a joke:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

trainman

Repairing the dial to lower housing cable. Cabke was yanked out of connector, and was nicked, severing one wire, and others were shorter than the remaining wires. I spliced in about 5 out of the 10 wires to make them longer. Probably be better off finding a larger outer jacket than having two sections of jacket. The splices wont go through the original jacket, plus it was partially severed in one spot anyway.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on May 15, 2016, 07:00:42 PM
I seem to recall that the "Autovon payphone" was a joke:

The small 911 phone was a joke. It is listed on the site under leg pulling. I think the payphone is real (I could be wrong).
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

trainman

Repaired dial cable and connector with new insulation

Victor Laszlo

Can anyone think of a scenario where a military person would need to place an AutoVoN call from a pay station?  Didn't think so.  Entirely a figment of Mr. LaRue's inventive mind.

Jim Stettler

on  base while off duty during an incident. The bar wouldn't have an autovon phone, but the patrons may need acess to an autovon line.  I sent an email asking them about autovon payphones. I will post the reply

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dave F

JKL's 3-slot AUTOVON payphone was made for John by a relative who has a tremendous machine shop and is a master at using his tools.  I have seen this payphone (as well as some of his other creations) in person, and they are truly impressive.

For the record, no manufacturer ever produced any "official" AUTOVON payphones!

DF

RotarDad

Tony - Nice repair job on the wiring!  That looks like a lot of work, but worth it to restore an uncommon phone.  Be sure to post some pics when you have it back together....
Paul

trainman

it was a pain to rewire the connector. even with a 25watt iron I still managed to melt a little more insulation than I wanted. Not too bad. Imagine if I used my 40watt iron on this?

I worked in a factor making encoders years ago, and we soldered tiny wires to the same style of connector. only those pins and wires were a tad bigger. so a no brainer for me.

trainman

The 1234g is alive! using Stan's Payphone Controller. Works great.

trainman

Pictures here. I had this homemade wooden shelf that came with another phone I had. Decided to use it. Mounted the network and the controller on the back. Ill set the phone on the kitchen counter next to a phone jack and ac outlet for the controller.

Thanks to Stan S, who made the controller and provided copies of the instruction cards.