News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Store Finds

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 15, 2014, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Today I visited an antique store in downtown Milwaukee, and I found 2 phones; a 1960 WE 500 in ivory and a 1962 WE 500 in green. The green 500 is unique because it has a 10 foot coiled line cord, very much like Ben's red 1958 500. I paid $24 for the green and $14.35 for the ivory.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Contempra

very nice ones Christian :).. 10 foot coiled line cord not very usuel.. probably ;)

WesternElectricBen

Nice finds, Christian.

I like that those phones have the soft center finger wheels, and the green one with the curly cord.

And here is the previous thread on my 58 Soft with Cord: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10997.30

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

After heat/cold treatment on both cords, and polishing the handset, housing, dial bezel and fingerwheel, the 1962 green 500 is finally done! I'm pretty happy with the results, especially with the line cord transformation. I changed the "Suzette's Hot Line" dial card to a blank one, and I honestly think it looks pretty good.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Looks really nice, my friend!

Did you do the hot and cold treatment, or just one. I've had good luck with the cold treatment so far, by letting the phone sit outside, besides on one phone. A 1955 green with the gray cords, the issue is, I left it out there for almost a week, and it barley effected the cord.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

The key to the cord regaining it's shape is an immediate change from hot to cold, so a cord sitting in the snow for a week shouldn't have any better results than a cord sitting in the snow for 30 seconds. It's the rapid change in temperature that gives the cord back its shape.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Oh, really? I'm going to have to try that again, how did you heat it up? Hairdryer?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's my instructions as to how to fix a cord:

1) Buy a 3/8th inch dowel from Home Depot or Menard's.

2) Cut it to the approximate width of your oven diagonally (it'll make sense later).

4) Wrap the cord tightly, keeping the coils tightly together, around the dowel, but have it positioned in the center of the dowel, don't let either end of the cord touch either end of the dowel.

5) Remove any racks in the oven.

6) Preheat oven to about 220 degrees Fahrenheit.

7) Position dowel on a high rack support in the oven. Make sure none of the cord is touching any of the metal inside the oven, because it might melt and singe the plastic. Wait 5-10 minutes, or until the cord starts to give off a plastic smell, and will feel rubbery. Immediately soak the cord in ice water (or during this time of year, go outside and cover the cord in snow) until cord is cool. Repeat this step if necessary.

Remember, it's the immediate temperature change to the cord that really makes a difference, not a gradual temperature change.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Ah, I gotcha. I'l have to try it that way with mine, though I'm not too sure how happy my mother will be. hehe

Ben