News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help With 1957 500

Started by gands-antiques, November 12, 2015, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

No dial tone until I slightly rotate the finger wheel clockwise and then when I get a dial tone and try to dial a number it does not dial out.

When the phone is connected to my house phone jack the phone will ring with incoming calls whether the receiver is ON or OFF the hook but calls can not be received.

I checked the wires I could with this color diagram...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2767.0;attach=14360

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

jsowers

I see a loose yellow spade to the mounting cord that could be shorting out something. Put it back under the G screw and tighten it down. That may not be the cause of anything, but it shouldn't be left that way.

Your problems could also be something with the dial. You could try subbing out another dial or looking closely at the two sets of contacts on the dial and cleaning them with a piece of stiff paper slid between the contacts.

Your wiring, except for the loose yellow wire, looks OK at first glance. You have what looks like a nice pink soft plastic 500 there. 1957 was the first year for pink.
Jonathan

unbeldi

The dial pulse springs should normally be closed.  They only open for the pulses on the return trip of the dial after operating to the off-normal position.   The fact that you can hear dial tone when you slightly move the finger wheel should tell you that the contacts don't work properly.  They appear to be open when the dial is at rest, then briefly close, and then disconnect again or the receiver shunt springs kick in and short the receiver so you cannot hear the dial tone anymore. This is normal.

From your picture it appears indeed that the pulse springs are open. Did you remove the cover? If it was removed already, perhaps some one else damaged them or tried to fix them.

To test, simply use a screwdriver or any piece of metal or wire and place it across the springs to short them.  You should start hearing dial tone when you do that.

unbeldi

This picture shows how the contacts should align at rest.

If you compare your picture with mine, you will notice that the pulse cam is misaligned on your dial.
The dial may have been disassembled and the gears were improperly aligned upon assembly.

gands-antiques

Thanks for the help...

I removed the cover but I didn't move the contacts when ia was trying to get it to work. 

I stubbed in a dial like you suggested from another 500 and the phone worked correctly. I figured the contacts must be the problem so I decided to swap the contact sets. Now the phone works when I assist the dial with returning to zero.  I will try to speed it up a little by bending the wire on the center of the governor tomorrow.

Thanks for all or the help,

Gary 

jsowers

Gary, I'm glad you got it working. A little spritz of contact or tuner cleaner into the gears (but not the governor) will help the dial return properly. I wouldn't bend anything.

Be sure and reconnect that yellow wire to G.
Jonathan

gands-antiques

Thanks Jonathan...

I reconnected the yellow wire and I sprayed electrical contact cleaner on all of the electrical contacts and then I dried the areas with compressed air. I kept the spray away from the governor.

I didn't intentionally spray the gears but I will try that before I mess with the governor.

It didn't seem like it the dial was slow when I was troubleshooting it but I guess it was.

Thanks again,
Gary

jsowers

I also meant to say it's good you kept the original dial since it matches date-wise and has the -59 color code on it. Keep them as original as you can is my motto.

A slow dial is fairly normal for a phone that old, but it's not too hard to fix. The contact cleaner seems to free up the sticky lubrication. Some people like to also add some machine oil in small amounts to the gear shafts, but again not in the governor.
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

That's odd.  If the pulsing cam is misaligned, then no matter which set of contacts you use, the problem should be the same.
-Bill G

Stan S

If the dial has fully returned, the high spot on the cam should be pushing on the pulsing contact. 
Pull off the cam, reposition it, then push it back on the post. Use a working dial as a sample for the proper position.
Stan

gands-antiques

I swapped the contacts back to the original ones, sprayed contact cleaner on the gears and added a drop of oil to each of the gear shaft contact points. I also swapped the two white wires from the dial..didn't know if it would matter.

I am getting a dial tone and it will break dial tone when I dial a number but it won't actually dial a number. I checked the phone on my RS phone tester and it shows each of the numbers I dial show correct on the tester. It will also ring and talk and it shows receive and transmit are working in the handset.

It seems like it is close and I don't see anything wrong with the wiring or the dial but it just won't dial a number???

Latest pictures attached....

rdelius

Your impulse cam is still out of sync. Position it exactly like the example posted

unbeldi

I don't understand the hocus-pocus here.  The latest posted pics don't show the same dial as earlier.  This one is a newer dial, which has the gear-cage 'riveted', rather than screwed type as the very first picture.  Yet, the mounting base of the dial has the same date stamps.  So you have switched the gear cage on us. You're not telling correctly what you really did.

So my guess is that you did this before, and didn't align the pulsing cam properly.

gands-antiques

It wasn't a matter of hocus pocus.   I changed the base of the dial with this one on because I couldn't get the other one to work at all. If pedigree is the issue I can put the other one back on and I'll have to figure out what the difference is between it and this one. 

I'll put the original one back on tonight and go from there.

Thanks,
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: gands-antiques on November 14, 2015, 05:31:41 PM
It wasn't a matter of hocus pocus.   I changed the base of the dial with this one on because I couldn't get the other one to work at all. If pedigree is the issue I can put the other one back on and I'll have to figure out what the difference is between it and this one. 

I'll put the original one back on tonight and go from there.

Thanks,
Gary

It's not a matter of pedigree, no one cares in the end what you do with your telephone.  But it is a matter of telling correctly what you did while asking for other's time in helping you.  You were told what was wrong with your dial and you ignored it and pretended that you only changed the contacts.