"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

U.K. Based Dial repairs

Started by maxmix, October 13, 2013, 03:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmix

Hi Guys,

does anyone know of anyone who repairs/refurbs GPO 706 dials (and are U.K based)??

I have a 706 with the dial stuck fast, I don't really have any idea how to work on this to free it up, make it workable so any advice would be gratefully received  ;)
So, what's all this about Phones???

twocvbloke

I don't know of anyone myself, but the THG may have members who can repair dials if you don't feel up to it yourself:

http://www.thg.org.uk/

They are pretty easy to work on an clean up, yours probably just needs cleaning out and lubricating (small amounts of 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil usually), the only things to be careful of are not oiling the governor cup (just the very tips of the governor, very lightly) and being careful to let the spring wind down (there's a small screw that holds it in a wound up state) before removing the trigger wheel, the rest is easy as pie, just take pictures as you go so you can see where everything is meant to go... :)

maxmix

I was going to join the THG, but wasn't sure if it was for me!!

I will join, but in the meantime, might give it a go myself, thanks for your advice ;D
So, what's all this about Phones???

twocvbloke

No probs, any questions and this is the place to ask, there's several of us brits here to offer advice if you need it... :)