News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which Cable Type for New Home Wiring?

Started by cloyd, February 21, 2016, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Yes, good job. I know that lots of scenarios on how to complete this were discussed and I now see that you did opt for keystone type jack plates on the far end and strip mounted keystone jacks at the equipment end.

I can see that there are some jack colors used which almost certainly indicates something. That coupled with your purchase list, my guess is that the top row of jacks are runs to individual rooms in the house utilizing 3 pairs per jack with the white/brown pair being spare.

The second row of jacks (all white jacks) look as though there is only 2 cat5 cables going to them so they may be individual pair jacks feeding to the two 4 port plates likely located in an area where you are displaying some phones.

I can't see any indication of a CO line feed to the PBX so you may not have that connected but it could potentially be any one of the runs in the enclosure patched to a CO port of the PBX.

I also note the pull string to the attic (likely) tucked in the corner. That is the mark of someone who isn't what I call a "Hit and Run installer". You did a little extra up front to make your life (or someone else's life) easier in the future. The Hit and Run installer shows up to add a run, is happy to find the pull string left by a previous installer and doesn't bother replacing it!

Tell me how I did at deciphering!

Terry

unbeldi

With all that spiffy wiring, you are ready for G.Fast in every room.

While wireless is the rage and everyone likes no-wires, the copper lines remain king in connection speed.
With G.Fast, Internet access comes at speeds of fiber, 1Gbit/s or even higher a little, over standard twisted pair telephone wiring.
Perhaps the old copper plant in the ground is not so dead anymore.

cloyd

AE Collector,
Very accurate deductions!  There is a CO line coming into the box, it got the yellow jack since the cable I used was yellow.  If ever you visit me, you won't need a tour!  You have it figured out already!  Well done! :)

Fabius,
You might want to prop up your Panasonic.  It may not stay cool enough the way you have it strategically positioned.  You wouldn't want all of your time and effort to end up burning out the box.   ;)

unbeldi,
What does that mean?  "Perhaps the old copper plant in the ground is not so dead anymore."  ???

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Fabius

Quote from: cloyd on May 22, 2016, 03:05:43 PM

Fabius,
You might want to prop up your Panasonic.  It may not stay cool enough the way you have it strategically positioned.  You wouldn't want all of your time and effort to end up burning out the box.   ;)

Tina

I will take a look at how the unit gets air flow. Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Babybearjs

Love the install pics... I used all keystone jacks in my install. they work good and are color coded... I even modularized my 1A1 system using RJ-45 cords... makes for a quick get away when removing old systems....
John

Dominic_ContempraPhones

Fiber ... no Panasonic.  DWDM ... wink.

Victor Laszlo

QuoteFiber ... no Panasonic.  DWDM ... wink.

I'm not sure what the message is here.

Since you are someone who has come late to the party, I would ask that you be aware that the thread to which you refer is over a year old. If you are going to drill down into the archives and comment on every thread that interests you, regardless of the last post, and make seemingly inappropriate or obscure remarks, perhaps you could start a new thread on the same subject.

There are lots of nouns, but no verbs.

I'm not sure how Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing would apply in this case of a young woman's admirable attempt and success in installing a system neatly.

Can you elucidate?

TelePlay

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on July 02, 2017, 03:12:43 PM
I'm not sure what the message is here.

There are lots of nouns, but no verbs.

I'm not sure how Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing would apply in this case.

Can you elucidate?

It really doesn't matter at this point in time. This is an old topic and Tina has long since installed her wiring very successfully with the help of members more than a year ago. Her final installation is show in this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15712.msg168091#msg168091

Not bad at all for a school teacher new to telephones. Shows what help from members can do for a person.