News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

43A/G1 Space Saver wiring question

Started by j.bridwell, February 02, 2010, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGreenwood

Great, I'll have to check tonight when I get home for the model number.

Thanks for all the good info, while the phone works with either wiring configuration, its sounds like the best option for this phone configuration using a 4228 network is the 5 wire approach.
Mike Greenwood

unbeldi

Quote from: MGreenwood on February 17, 2017, 10:58:40 AM
No, this phone does not have a "BL" terminal, like some do. FYI - The markings on the interior frame of the phone is "IV  37" So I'm thinking its a G4 base.

The original type should be punched into metal on the outside of the housing. On the very early sets of 1936 and perhaps 1937, this was positioned just underneath the wiring exit on the side opposite to the cradle cutouts, as shown in my picture below.  From then on, it was located between and just below the cradle cutouts.

Your set was made in the fourth quarter of 1937, it will be interesting to hear from you where the marking is located.  The pictured set is marked IV 36 and I have not seen an earlier one.
It is very common that the original punched marking is crossed out with an ink stamp, showing a different type. Many times the switches were changed during refurbishing to accommodate current needs.

We don't have any information of a G4, I don't think. It would be interesting to find out why they omitted #4 and #5 when starting with G6 to G8 later.

MGreenwood

I will check tonight and get back to you.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Greenwood

trainman

A 685 subset would requirea 5 wire mounting cord.

somewhere there was a discusion of a 202 using a 685 subset.

MGreenwood

Well after getting home and checking, its a "G1", and the stamp is on the same side as cradle cutouts.

After doing some more perusing on the forum, thanks for the suggestion of searching for "202 using a 685 subset", I decided to use the five wire option with the 4228 network. At least until I can source an original subset for this phone.

Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. You've made a new guy to this forum feel very welcome!   ;D

Mike
Mike Greenwood

unbeldi

Quote from: MGreenwood on February 17, 2017, 07:38:27 PM
Well after getting home and checking, its a "G1", and the stamp is on the same side as cradle cutouts.

After doing some more perusing on the forum, thanks for the suggestion of searching for "202 using a 685 subset", I decided to use the five wire option with the 4228 network. At least until I can source an original subset for this phone.

Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. You've made a new guy to this forum feel very welcome!   ;D

Mike

Thanks for the info. If we can assume that the housing originally belonged to the "guts" of the set with the date stamp, then it is a valuable data point for determining the cutover in marking style.
But... did someone powder-coat this unit?  The surface finish does not seem original.

Thank

MGreenwood

Yes, I did. The original finish was virtually gone, with several coats of spray paint. The 5H dial was seized up, so I completely disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and re assembled. the number dial is a NOS exact replacement (Notice the "Z" above operator). Based on the way i found it, with all the jumper wires, wired for a 634A subset and the subset cord still attached (it had just been cut off) I have no reason not to think that it is all original.
Mike Greenwood