News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No Dial Tone

Started by Craig T, February 12, 2010, 02:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

I have a Western Electric 2500 model touchtone desk phone.

I plug it in and you can hear that it has power, but no dial tone. Same thing when I hold in the plunger and let it out, no dial tone, just the buzzing sound of the power. I double checked to see everything was at least connected, but I was hoping someone could look to see if it is a simple mis-wiring.

I tried another handset also and that did not work either.

Thanks for your help!

Phonesrfun

Craig:

I would be happy to look, but with the later network, I need to look it up later tonight after work, since I am not as familiar with its layout as the 425B.  Maybe Jorge or Bingster or someone else has the time to look before that.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Craig T

Thank you Bill, I am trying to cross reference it with a ATT 2500 phone that does work right now, am I on the right track with that?

Just going through the phone and it appears that one of the wires is missing from the read modular jack, the black wire to be exact. I am wiring in a new jack as we speak. Cmon' baby fire up!

Craig T

Alright got it! Changed the rear jack and switched the black and blue wires on B and the one under B.

Thank you Bill and thank you Dennis for telling me to get one out that works to compare it with  :)

I came across this in the parts phone which was a Western Electric base. What is this small orange rectangular block that is sitting under the dial?

JorgeAmely

Without ever have seen one, I believe it is a polarity guard.

It allows tip and ring to be exchanged thus allowing the phone to dial out properly.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Yep, that is a polarity guard.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Craig T

Thanks Bill and Jorge, I had not seen one. I have only been into a couple other 2500s. I did not see one of those on the others, maybe I did not look hard enough  :D

I do have a couple TT phones in my collection also. Most of the others come and go, but I like having a couple of them around, I keep one 2500 and one wall phone right now.

JorgeAmely

Bill:

It was a lack of a polarity guard that got me into collecting phones. After DSL was installed in my house, my 2500 stopped dialing out. Exchanging L1 and L2 got it to work again. That lead me to buying a WE500.

Then another, and another, (repeat more than 50 times).

Who knew that they would reproduce like bunnies?

??? ??? ???
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Craig T on February 12, 2010, 06:45:29 PM
Thanks Bill and Jorge, I had not seen one. I have only been into a couple other 2500s. I did not see one of those on the others, maybe I did not look hard enough  :D

Early 2500's were installed by phone company installers who knew how to wire them to work.  It was not until the phone company started selling the phones outright to the public that they had to start putting the polarity guard in.  So 2500's that were hard-wired by installers had no polarity guard inside.  Somewhere in time they started putting the diode matrix that makes up the polarity guard right into the circuitry of the touch-tone dials which also eliminated the need for the separate device.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G