News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

kjobenhavns

Started by thirdgeneration, April 05, 2011, 01:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sromes1

thanks for the info, so that's why the dial is part of the housing that goes over the ringer and not
on the base itself..they replaced the housing with one with a dial and wired that to the terminals.
correct?
thx steve

rdelius

they did not have the dial mounting cup with the mounting tab so when the dial was added, they mounted the cup to the housing instead of the base.These telephones work well with the origional parts but I like to put in a new transmitter capsule and a ringer capacator if the old one is leaky

sromes1

hi
sorry went away for a few days. I tried connecting the wires but I'm really pretty ignorant when it comes to all of this. I cut one of the modular plug in phone connectors and there are a black , red,green and yellow wires. which ones should I
use? On the other phone that has the 4 prong line attached has a dial tone, dials out ok but when I call it instead of the bell vibrating I ear a muffled sound in the
phone earpiece. Any idea how to fix it so the current goes to the ringer?
thanks steve

rdelius

The ringer is wired so the ringer is connected when the handset is hung up.These ringers are finicky they also draw more current

sromes1

the handset is hungup when I hear the noise its loud enough to be heard several feet away. so thats why i thought it was wired wrong

sromes1

I decided to see if there was hammer was moving so I took off the housing and
just press on the post and it vibrated when I called the phone. then I put the housing on and  the bell dome over it and called ...it rang. But when I put the cradle on and the handset and call that's when I get the sound coming from the earpiece. Is the cradle shorting out some wires?
thanks steve

poplar1

See if you can duplicate the problem with the cradle off by pushing the lever down only part way.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

sromes1

you must be clairvoyant, I was going to say that when looked at the cradle it looks like it makes it all the way down but not enough to make the relay contacts go all the way to one side instead it looks like its arcing on both sides so the ringer might not get enough current and the handset is getting enough to make a noise.
there is a set screw that prevents it from going a hair further...should I file the bottom of the hole just a little so full contact is made?
thanks steve

rdelius

There should is a screw to adjust clapper travel on the ringer. there might also be an adjustment for where the clapper rests when not ringing- I think this is under the hole the clapper pokes up through. I used to work on there but do not have one to look at.As I have noted the ringers are finicky.These sets are of an old design before people had multiple telephones

sromes1

thanks..it finally works. Now to tackle to other one with no phone line. You said to connect the terminals nearest me but I don't know what color wires to connect.
I just cut off an end of a rj11 cord and stripped the wires.
thx steve

poplar1

Quote from: sromes1 on June 05, 2013, 09:54:56 AM
thanks..it finally works. Now to tackle to other one with no phone line. You said to connect the terminals nearest me but I don't know what color wires to connect.
I just cut off an end of a rj11 cord and stripped the wires.
thx steve

Steve, if you are talking about a flat  line cord, you want to use the middle 2 wires, usually red and green.

In the plug on the other end of the cord,  the middle 2 wires still  go to the middle 2 contacts. In the wall jack, the middle 2 pins connect to the outside line. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

sromes1

dave...thanks for letting me know

sromes1

hi   I connected the green to the yellow and the red to the red and got a dial tone. but when I pressed on  the the flap on the top ( that thing ,that the post depresses when the handset is one the phone and the bell housing covers. I still get the dial tone...any ideas. Also could someone
direct me to a diagram that would name these parts..  thx steve

LarryInMichigan

I bought one of these on ebay a couple of weeks ago: ebay link.  It has only 8 terminals and no counter like one of the phone pictured earlier in this thread.  Also like that other phone, one of the leads from the induction coil was twisted together with one wire going to the dial.  I removed one of the straps, moved a wire, and used the terminals for the dial and induction coil wires.

The dial looks very much like a British GPO No. 10, but a bit different.  It has only four terminals.  The plate was covered with a paper overlay which had the North American lettering scheme.  The overlay was in terrible condition, so I discarded it and removed the hard, dry adhesive from the enameled original Danish plate.  I replaced the strap to the ringer terminal with a resistor to reduce the amount of ringer current (and the loudness).  When the phone arrived, the ringer gong was stuffed full of cotton or wool.  I suppose that a former owner thought that the ringer was too loud.

The phone housing is painted off-white, but it was apparently originally black, though the handset plastic parts and cords are white.  The nickel plating was very tarnished and discolored, but I did alot of polishing and managed to make it look presentable.  I bought a tube of MAAS metal polish which helped alot.  The phone looks nice, but the sound quality is not great.    

Larry

HarrySmith

Those are very nice phones, at least the all original ones that were not mangled for use here. Do you mind divulging your BIN offer?
I had a customer a couple of years back that had a dozen or more of these. He brought me a couple for repair and a couple to switch parts. He wanted to use the cords from a junk one, they were very nice silk! The one I put the silk cords on had real Gold on the gong and the cradle. I was impressed with how well made they were and how nice looking! He had others with gold and one that was a special royal phone! Those were the only phones he had and all he was interested in.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"