Main Menu

Buffalo Grip

Started by Pourme, October 11, 2016, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

I think these Buffalo grips were used to hold onto wire without damage.  They are clamps with parallel jaws that close when pulled by the loop.
It's a lineman's tool.

You can find them in the old telephone tools catalogs.

Ktownphoneco

Unbeldi has provided the answer, and here at 2 catalog pages from Western's 1908 Telephone catalog showing several Buffalo Grips.    They're converted from "pdf" to "jpeg", and I hope they're clear enough to read properly.    The Buffalo Grip No. 2 is on the first page listed, 2nd from the bottom.

Jeff Lamb

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on October 11, 2016, 09:21:04 PM
I think these Buffalo grips were used to hold onto wire without damage.  They are clamps with parallel jaws that close when pulled by the loop.
It's a lineman's tool.

You can find them in the old telephone tools catalogs.

I have a couple of pairs, and that is exactly what they were used for..... They were used in conjunction with a wire puller to tighten the span between poles....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Pourme

That makes sense....

I was a bit confused because the seller spoke of operating it. I was wondering what he did with it as he was operating it.

Now I'm assuming he was only fiddling around with the device....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on October 12, 2016, 07:55:49 AM
That makes sense....

I was a bit confused because the seller spoke of operating it. I was wondering what he did with it as he was operating it.

Now I'm assuming he was only fiddling around with the device....
Let's hope he didn't tamper with something he wasn't supposed to... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 12, 2016, 09:35:55 AM
Let's hope he didn't tamper with something he wasn't supposed to... ;D

Think of it as a pair of vice grips for wires - there isn't much to tamper with, other than keeping the pivots oiled and free....
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Victor Laszlo

Used by installers and repairmen, not linemen, generally, to put up drop wire that has a messenger wire.  The weight of even one section of 6-pair wire is enough to pull a person right off the ladder or pole, when trying to get it a tight as needed.  They were adapted from the Old West, where they were used to tighten barbed wire on fences. 

Babybearjs

are these still used today in new installations? after all.... the pole is still used....
John

19and41

I've worked on construction of a few free standing radio towers and similar grips were used to tighten and hold the guy wires while being properly secured.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke